After collating insights from the graduate cohort at abrdn, here are their top 10 application tips…
What is the application process at abrdn?
- Send in a CV along with answers to a select few questions such as “Why abrdn?”
- Complete online tests
- Answer a few questions in a pre-recorded video interview
- Participate in an assessment centre (group activity, case study & interview)
What are your top 10 tips for the application process?
- Don’t treat people at the assessment centre as your competition. Although it can feel like a competition, there’s a chance that you will end up working with them so make an effort to be friendly and polite.
- Define your role in the group interview. A great way to demonstrate that you work well in a team is to take ownership of a role, you could facilitate conversations with quieter group members or be a timekeeper.
- Don’t panic if you aren’t 100% sure of an answer. Using the information you have, make an informed response based on your best judgement as this will demonstrate your analytical ability.
- Giving your reasons is key in any stage of the application process. It’s more about how you justify your answer than being correct. Interviewers want to see that you’re analytical and able to analyse situations to come up with rational answers.
- Avoid waffling as interviewers will be able to see straight through it. If you get a question and aren’t sure of the answer it is better to admit that you don’t know but then apply knowledge and example you have. Being open and honest is respected.
- Showing your personality will help you stand out. You are likely to come from similar universities and have similar grades to other applicants so use something that differentiates you to demonstrate the unique perspective you can bring.
- Prepare, prepare, prepare. Practicing answers to common interview questions in advance helped will help you to feel more relaxed when it comes to the day.
- Knowing the company culture is important. Focus on researching abrdn’s company values, this will allow you to link your answers to their values and demonstrate that you’ve tried to get to know the company and that you’d be a great culture fit.
- Mock interviews are a great way to get used to the interview process. They’ll give you insights into the type of questions you will be asked and help you become more comfortable in answering in a structured format.
- Make the most of the resources you have access to. You can access application advice, support and insights from different sources including Bright Network so that you can shine in the application process.
If you’re interested in finding out more about abrdn – check out their profile here.