C. Hoare & Co. was founded in 1672 and has succeeded as a bank for this length of time by offering exceptional standards of service to our customers and by remaining relevant to modern day life.
Our ambition is to build a sustainable banking service for our existing customers and a select number of new customers. We will achieve this ambition by our agility in continuously improving our customer service as well as by making the bank an ever-better place to work for our colleagues.
As potential new colleagues, you may like to know that we are delighted by the advances that we have made in making the bank a better place to work. Together we have worked hard on many initiatives where our employee engagement surveys indicate that colleagues truly believe in the values of the bank as well as our comprehensive benefits. There is also a strong pride in C. Hoare & Co., which is something that you feel immediately when you visit the bank.
If this is an environment that you are curious to discover more about, then you may be interested to hear more about our brand-new graduate scheme at the bank.
An Outline of Our Graduate Programme
The C. Hoare & Co. Graduate Programme is a 24-month role rotation programme offering graduates the opportunity to experience four areas of our very special private bank.
After the onboarding and induction, you will begin your first rotation. We will aim to rotate all graduates through the Operations, Compliance & Risk functions first so you can learn how our bank works and how we keep the bank safe.
After these rotations, you will be ready to move on through to our Banking team who work with our customers on a day to day basis. You will also have a placement in our Digital & Technology team so that you can become familiar with the technologies that underpin our banking operations and the digital channels to our customers.
Throughout the programme you will be asked to present ideas and solutions to your line manager and the Management Team. You will also be asked to work with your graduate peers to deliver a presentation at the end of your 24-month programme on an allocated topic.
The overall aim of the rotations is to ensure you have the breadth of knowledge to help you succeed within the bank, understand how the bank works and the critical importance of each business area in contributing to the overall success of the bank.
A Bit About You
We are looking for graduates who will underpin our sustainability as a bank. You will be agile in the way that you think, which means you plan as you go and learn as you do things. You will be capable of making speedy decisions and prefer to be honest and transparent in the way that you work. You crave feedback and really want to know how to improve things. We also like very flexible people who have a high degree of adaptability in how they structure, organise, coordinate and execute their work.
If this sounds like you, C. Hoare & Co. may be the place for you!
Building a Career Foundation
Whether you move on after completing the C. Hoare & Co. Graduate Programme or stay with us for many years to come, you will be sure to have a bedrock of skills at the end of eighteen months that will hold you in good stead for your future career. Specifically, the skills that you will build through the duration of the programme include:
- Experience working for a unique family business; gaining insight into the diverse needs of a variety of stakeholders including the owners, management team, private banking customers, regulators and different internal departments.
- Gain first-hand experience of working life within four key parts of the business, by rotating through the Banking, Operations, Digital & Technology and Compliance & Risk departments.
- Gain an understanding of banking products and services and how we provide tailored services to private banking customers.
- Learn a breadth of technology and workflow skills that will allow you to solve business problems in an agile and proactive way.
The Graduate Training Curriculum
C. Hoare & Co. has a highly supportive culture and we will ensure that you are prepared well to work through your different rotations.
Firstly, there will be a whole team of people rooting for you:
- You will have a “buddy” – someone you can ask any question to about the bank, the building, the processes, procedures, the hidden rules etc.
- You will have a “mentor” – someone in a more senior position in the bank who can provide advice, guidance and counsel on navigating the bank and your career.
- You will have a line manager for each rotation – someone to set objectives, manage performance and assist in your professional development.
- Access to a HR Business Partner to support you and guide you through all areas of development.
- You will have access to a wide range of learning and development opportunities including e-learning, on the job experiences, structured workshops and shadowing opportunities.
Secondly, you will undertake a series of training activities that are specifically directed at onboarding you well into the bank:
Thirdly, you will be supported by a set of different learning programmes through the duration of your rotations. Some of these are depicted below, but the bank also has a broader curriculum, which you can take advantage of. Towards the end of the Graduate Programme, we will work with you in the final four months of the programme to discuss your preferences and agree a plan to work towards a recognised qualification which you’ll complete depending on your area of specialism. These can include the CeMAP, Business Analyst, Diploma in Leadership and Management or equivalent.
The bank aims to provide a competitive total remuneration package, starting with a fair and sustainable base salary of £32,000 increasing to £35,000 in year two and you will be eligible for an annual discretionary cash bonus award.
In addition to the cash remuneration, we will provide a highly competitive benefits package including a pension contribution of 20% per annum of base salary, (or 10% pension and 10% cash), life assurance, season ticket loan and a canteen offering breakfast and lunch every day.
Having Fun at C. Hoare & Co.!
During the programme you will have the opportunity to participate in any philanthropic collaboration events that take place, involving linking up with a charitable organisation and developing and delivering a solution to support their work.
In addition, subject to appropriate social distancing rules, the bank also hosts a summer cocktail party and biennial autumn supper party and Red Nose Day Event.