When it comes to managing your contacts, LinkedIn is an essential tool for staying in touch and maintaining a professional presence, so you need to be onboard. Our recent research found that over 50% of our members have a LinkedIn profile but many don't know how to use the platform effectively - so we have created a handy guide with the 5 essentials you need to create a 'wow-factor' LinkedIn.
- Start off easy and pick a picture. Make sure it's a professional picture, one that you look smart in and ensure that your face is easily identifiable.
- Don't worry about a banner - but if you have access to any then they can look great.
- Your LinkedIn profile will usually rank in the top 5 Google search results for your name; it's important you make a good impression.
- Brag a bit more and write a strong, professional summary - this will be your elevator pitch. It is a great skill to be able to sum up who you are and what you can offer in a succint and engaging way.
- Your summary can go up to 2,000 words but don't be tempted to waffle, especially this early in your career.
Go further, 6 steps to creating the perfect elevator pitch here.
- For each piece of work experience you have, briefly describe what that company does, your role within the company and any skills that you possess from that role.
- Once again, it is important to be succinct so that people don't have to read reams of information.
- Remember: keep your information up to date and the same as your CV! You don't want any employers to catch you out with dates not matching up.
Show your professional personality
- Use this opportunity to display your interests in a professional setting.
- Share, comment and write articles that you may not share on your other social media channels.
- Display your commercial awareness to employers and highlight what you are interested in.
Skills, endorsements and recommendations
- Where possible ask any employers, lecturers or colleagues to recommend you. People will generally be happy to help and it makes your CV stand out and look hyper personal.
If you want to impress potential employers and connections, learn how to perfect your LinkedIn profile with this module from Bright Network Academy.