From engineering, to marketing, and research and development, to business and IT, we have an industrial placement position for you!
We understand that you want to gain valuable experience during your industrial placement year, so we give you immediate responsibility. A placement year can be an important first step in your career with 3M and we treat you as part of our team from day one. Embarking on a placement year with us will enable you to unlock potential, gain an insight into the working world and develop fundamental industry skills.
While we cater for the business side of our student’s lives, we also recognise the importance of your social life and a healthy work/life balance. We therefore offer flexible working and organise social events for you to enjoy yourself.
We invest significant time and resources into our industrial placement scheme – so we have a vested interest making it a success, potentially leading to you enjoying a blossoming career at 3M.
You will have the opportunity to work in:
- Product Development
The minimum requirements to take part in this incredible experience are:
- The right to live and work in the EU.
- A minimum of 'B' in GCSE Maths and English or equivalent qualifications.
- A minimum of 300 UCAS points (BBB or ABC) gained through 'A' level/Scottish Highers or other equivalent qualifications (Excluding General Studies).
- Being an undergraduate on target to achieve a 2:1 degree.
Training and development
Just like our graduate programme, 3M’s industrial placement programme provides a wide variety of opportunities for you to learn and grow, something that is vital for our future success, and yours. We understand that you will want to get as much out of your placement year as you can and we ensure that you are given every opportunity to do so. We also recognise that a new workplace could be a daunting prospect for some students, but our relaxed working environment will help you settle into the organsiation and have you feeling like a regular 3Mer in no time at all!
As a 3M industrial placement student, you'll immediately join our graduate and industrial placement community and embark on the Emerging Talent Training programme. Included in this will be visits to other 3M locations around the UK, planning and executing your own charity projects, and learning the fundamentals of time management and personal branding. In addition, you'll receive guidance on implementing your own personal development plan, to ensure that you make the most of your industrial placement year at 3M.
Typically, placement students take over a role from a previous placement student, so you’ll normally work alongside your predecessor for a one or two-week ‘hand-over’, where you’ll gain vital information about the role. Obviously, you’ll also receive support and coaching from your line manager throughout your 12 months, and you’ll have the option of a mentor to guide you through your placement with us.
Compensation and benefits
Industrial placement salary - £19,250
In addition to a flexible work-life balance and the opportunity to work for one of the most innovative organisations there is, 3M offers the kind of competitive compensation and benefit options that you’d expect from a world-class organisation. Your total compensation includes benefit options and resources to help keep you healthy, happy and energised:
- 25 days’ paid annual holiday, plus bank holidays (UK) or 22 days’ paid annual holiday plus bank holidays (Ireland).
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Life assurance.
- Subsidised restaurant/cafeteria facilities (depending on location).
- Sports clubs and social activities.
- Discounts on 3M products.
- A work laptop.
- Reduced subscriptions to various schemes, covering private healthcare, car insurance, etc.
- A free, confidential counselling and legal advisory telephone service, if needed.
- Financial support for further education.