From engineering to marketing, R&D to business, we have an industrial placement position for you!
We understand that you want to gain valuable experience during your industrial placement year, so we give you immediate responsibility. A placement year can be an important first step in your career with 3M and we treat you as part of our team from day one. Embarking on a placement year with us will enable you to unlock potential, gain an insight into the working world and develop fundamental industry skills.
While we cater for the business side of our student’s lives, we also recognise the importance of your social life and a healthy work/life balance. We therefore offer flexible working and encourage participation in our social committees and events. We invest significant time and resources into our industrial placement scheme – so we have a vested interest to make it and your time with us a success.
The minimum requirements to take part in this incredible experience are:
- The right to live and work in the UK
- A minimum of grade 6/B GCSE Maths and English or equivalent qualification.
- A minimum of 120 UCAS points (BBB or ABC) gained through ‘A’ Level/Scottish Highers or other equivalent qualifications (excluding General Studies).
- Being an undergraduate on target to achieve a 2:1 degree.
Training and development
Just like our graduate programme, 3M’s industrial placement programme provides a wide variety of opportunities for you to learn and grow, something that is vital for our future success, and yours. We understand that you will want to get as much out of your placement year as you can and we ensure that you are given every opportunity to do so. We also recognise that a new workplace could be a daunting prospect for some students, but our relaxed working environment will help you settle into the organisation and have you feeling like a regular 3Mer in no time at all!
As a 3M industrial placement student, you'll immediately join our graduate and industrial placement community and embark on the Emerging Talent Training programme. Included in this will be visits to other 3M locations around the UK, planning and executing your own charity projects, and learning the fundamentals of time management and personal branding. In addition, you'll receive guidance on implementing your own personal development plan, to ensure that you make the most of your industrial placement year at 3M.
Typically, you would take over a role from a previous placement student, so you’ll normally work alongside your predecessor for a one or two-week ‘hand-over’, where you’ll gain vital information about the role. Obviously, you’ll also receive support and coaching from your line manager throughout your 12 months, and you’ll have the option of a mentor to guide you through your placement with us.
Salary and Benefits
Industrial Placement salary for 2020 – £19,250
In addition to a flexible work-life balance and the opportunity to work for one of the most innovative organisations there is, 3M offers the kind of competitive compensation and benefit options that you’d expect from a world-class organisation. Your total compensation includes benefit options and resources to help keep you healthy, happy and energised:
- 25 days’ paid annual holiday, plus bank holidays (UK) or 22 days’ paid annual holiday plus bank holidays (Ireland)
- Contributory SMART Stakeholder Pension Scheme with up to 10% employer contribution
- Life Assurance Scheme 4 x salary
- General Employee Stock Purchase Plan providing the opportunity to purchase 3M stock at discounted rates
- Discount on 3M products
- Employee discount scheme providing preferential rates across major UK retailers and service providers
- Reduced subscriptions on various insurance schemes
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Sports Clubs and social activities