Data & Analytics Assistant Industrial Placement
When meeting us, you’ll quickly find out we are united in our belief that the best thing about the ABI is the people.
We’re proud to be one of Rate My Placement’s top employers and have four placement year opportunities starting in Summer 2021. We have two of these in our Data & Analytics team.
What’s the job?
With us you won’t just observe; you’ll be liaising with our member firms to collect data and gain insight to help form the basis of our analysis, aggregating data and assisting with presenting this data in an innovative and engaging way, and you will also participate in the running of various conferences and events.
During your time with us, you will:
- Work with Data & Analytics Advisers to assist in the quarterly and annual collection of statistics on general and life insurance as well as other ad-hoc data collections.
- Commission data requests to ABI members, chase outstanding requests, quality assure data supplied and resolve data concerns with members, aggregate data and produce results for inclusion in statistical publications.
- Liaise with member companies to gain an insight into trends shown in the data we collect.
- Support the production, presentation and dissemination of analysis in areas of interest to enhance the ABI’s and members’ understanding of these issues and enable the ABI to be more effective in its interactions with companies, government and other stakeholders.
- Participate in the running of the Statistics Helpdesk and help run the Statistical Subscription Service.
- Ensure statistical information on the ABI website is up to date, relevant and well presented.
You’ll also have the opportunity to study towards a professional insurance qualification during your placement year, fully funded by the ABI.
Why the ABI?
- You’ll gain real-life work experience and make a meaningful contribution to the ABI’s work – you’re part of a friendly, supportive team from day one.
- You’ll receive regular guidance to support your development through one to ones with your line manager and our performance review process.
- You have endless learning opportunities – whether it’s getting involved in a project, attending one of our learning events or joining a training course – we’ll help you make the most of your time with us.
- Diversity and inclusion is important to us. We’ve designed our recruitment process to be as inclusive and fair as possible and have done a huge amount of work to ensure our workplace supports diversity.
- You can join in the social side of ABI life – our Sports and Social and Health and Wellbeing committees arrange activities outside of work. Crazy golf, quizzes and chocolate tasting are just a few examples.
What skills do I need?
You don’t need any prior work experience and we don’t ask for you to be studying a specific degree, however you may find your area of study lends itself to a particular placement year opportunity. For this role you’re likely to be studying a sandwich degree with numerical focus such as Mathematics, Statistics or Economics, or have an element of these in your course.
Other than being eligible to complete a placement year as part of your degree course starting in Summer 2021, we’re looking for people who are self-motivated, hard working and can communicate effectively with a range of people.
For this role, it’s essential that you have strong numerical reasoning skills and the ability to conduct data analysis and interpretation. You’ll also need to be a capable user of Microsoft Excel and as part of the interview process, we will ask you to complete an Excel task.
Throughout the interview and assessment process, we will be looking for you to demonstrate the ABI’s values; We are Brave; We take Ownership; We are Appreciative; We are Human and We are Curious.