General Insurance Policy Adviser
When meeting us, you’ll quickly find out we are united in our belief that the best thing about the ABI is the people. We’re hugely proud 100% of colleagues feel the ABI care about their health and wellbeing and 99% feel colleagues within their team respect each other. If that sounds like your kind of culture, read on to find out how you can join us.
We’re looking for a Policy Adviser to join our General Insurance team. You’ll work with ABI colleagues, government, the UK insurance industry on the development of ABI policy. While your area of work will be civil justice reform, personal injury and liability insurance issues, you’ll work with colleagues across a range of general insurance issues. You don’t need to have prior knowledge of this area, or even of insurance, to apply.
Please note this is full time role, but we are open to applications from those who wish to work on a flexible and/or job share basis.
What’s the job?
- Work with relevant stakeholders to help make the compensation system work better and more cost-effectively for those involved in motor accidents and their insurers.
- Lead the ABI’s work on influencing reform of the civil justice system across the UK.
- Influence reform of the evolving liability insurance landscape, including the industry’s work on the impacts of Covid.
- Work with colleagues to develop increased consumer, political and media understanding of personal injury reform and liability insurance.
- Develop and support wider and cross-cutting General Insurance policy initiatives.
- Act as an effective external representative of the ABI and the insurance industry by undertaking speaking engagements and media appearances.
- Maintain key relationships with relevant Associations, Government departments, MPs and relevant Parliamentary committees.
The role is based at the ABI in London. However, some travel both within the UK and Europe may occasionally be required. Due to COVID-19, most colleagues are currently working from home.
What skills do you need?
- Experience dealing with complex public policy issues – you can get up to speed quickly with the technical detail.
- An analytical mind – you use evidence to back up your decisions.
- Excellent relationship management skills – you know how to approach stakeholders of all levels and backgrounds.
- Demonstrable lobbying skills – you can influence and persuade senior people in member firms, Government, regulators and elsewhere.
- Effective presentation skills – you know how to tailor you message to your audience.
Throughout the interview and assessment process, we will be looking for you to demonstrate the ABI’s values; We are Brave; We take Ownership; We are Appreciative; We are Human and We are Curious.
Our vision to continue to build an inclusive workplace is vitally important to us and we expect all colleagues to contribute to this.
Where can this role take you?
Wherever possible, we encourage our staff to develop their careers internally. The next natural step for you in this role would be a Senior Policy Adviser – but this is flexible.
With a collaborative environment, the fantastic exposure you have to people and leaders in the industry and the knowledge you’ll build on a range of regulatory and policy issues, the ABI is a great place to advance your career.
What training and benefits are offered?
You’ll have inductions to get you up to speed with anything from Events to how our finances work, plus meetings with relevant colleagues. Everyone goes on an introduction to insurance course and will receive plenty of on the job training. We host learning events and you can attend relevant ABI and industry events. Additional training is tailored to your needs and aspirations and we have a range of courses as part of our Learning and Development offering.