Member Relations Assistant Industrial Placement
When meeting us, you’ll quickly find out we are united in our belief that the best thing about the ABI is the people.
We’re proud to be one of Rate My Placement’s top employers and have four placement year opportunities starting in Summer 2021. This one is in our Member Relations, Partners & Events team.
What’s the job?
Your team will help you gain real insight into working in the corporate world. You’ll be in the unique position of communicating with everyone at the ABI – from the Director General to the Assistant population – and you’ll be their prime point of contact for all-things member related.
During your time with us, you will experience:
- Carrying out research and monitoring ongoing developments within ABI member companies and effectively communicating developments and information internally to ABI colleagues;
- Working collaboratively with ABI colleagues, particularly in Events, Finance and Directorate Support to ensure accurate data is collated;
- Contributing to the development of our Associate Member strategy by undertaking high quality research and data analysis of opportunities in the insurance market, and the related business communities;
- Supporting the Events Team with the efficient running of member events (c.50 per year!);
- Helping maintain the ABI member information and insight through updating the member profiles;
Why the ABI?
- You’ll gain real-life work experience and make a meaningful contribution to the ABI’s work – you’re part of a friendly, supportive team from day one.
- You’ll receive regular guidance to support your development through one to ones with your line manager and our performance review process.
- You have endless learning opportunities – whether it’s getting involved in a project, attending one of our learning events or joining a training course – we’ll help you make the most of your time with us.
- Diversity and inclusion is important to us. We’ve designed our recruitment process to be as inclusive and fair as possible and have done a huge amount of work to ensure our workplace supports diversity.
- You can join in the social side of ABI life – our Sports and Social and Health and Wellbeing committees arrange activities outside of work. Crazy golf, quizzes and chocolate tasting are just a few examples.
What skills do I need?
You don’t need any prior work experience and we don’t ask for you to be studying a specific degree, however you may find your area of study lends itself to a particular placement year opportunity. If you’re studying a business or social sciences related degree – or anything that requires you run research and analysis, this is a brilliant internship to get you real-world, corporate experience that will provide you with lots of great experience on your CV.
Other than being eligible to complete a placement year as part of your degree course starting in Summer 2021, we’re looking for people who are self-motivated, hard working and can communicate effectively with a range of people.
For this role, it’s essential you’ve had some experience of producing research and analysis – as you’ll help keep our member profiles up to date and accurate and we’ll explore this in your application and interview.
Throughout the interview and assessment process, we will be looking for you to demonstrate the ABI’s values; We are Brave; We take Ownership; We are Appreciative; We are Human and We are Curious.
The Association of British Insurers is the voice of the UK’s world-leading insurance and long-term savings industry. A productive, inclusive and thriving sector, our industry is helping Britain thrive with a balanced and innovative economy, employing over 300,000 individuals in high-skilled lifelong careers, two-thirds of which are outside of London.
The UK insurance industry manages investments of over £1.7 trillion, pays nearly £12bn in taxes to the Government and powers growth across the UK by enabling trade, risk-taking, investment and innovation. We are also a global success story, the largest in Europe and the fourth largest in the world.
Founded in 1985, the ABI represents over 200 member companies providing peace of mind to households and businesses across the UK, including most household names and specialist providers.
The ABI’s role is to:
- Get the right people together to help inform public policy debates, engaging with politicians, policymakers and regulators at home and abroad;
- Be the public voice of the sector, promoting the value of its products and highlighting its importance to the wider economy and society;
- Help encourage consumer understanding of the sector’s products and practices; and
- Support a competitive insurance industry, in the UK and overseas.