Graduate Data Scientist 2021
At Admiral, machine learning and artificial intelligence play a central role in delivering our market-leading products. We are currently looking for numerically-minded graduates with good communication skills to join our International Pricing and Analytics division, based out of our global headquarters in Cardiff.
After a significant period of structured and on-the-job training, you will develop both a deep knowledge of cutting-edge data science techniques and a broad understanding of the business world. You will use these skills to help solve some of the most important questions facing our global organisation. Once it is safe, you will also have opportunities to travel to our offices in Rome, Paris, and Seville for work assignments.
Admiral is a market leader in the Insurance industry, voted No. 1 in the 2019 Sunday Times Best Big Companies to Work For list in the UK. You will work in a responsive, collaborative environment alongside other talented Data Scientists, where no one will ever say “no” to a good idea.
We are looking for inquisitive graduates with a strong desire to make an impact using innovative analytic methods. You must have a keen interest in machine learning or statistics and be ready to grow your skills as the field progresses. You should be comfortable in a culture where decision making is evidence-based and reliant on rigorous analysis.
Whilst we will support you every step of the way, you should be self-motivated and able to work individually. You will need to cooperate effectively with others and deliver on agreed timelines in a dynamic environment.
- Collaborate with business leaders to solve key issues using a range of machine learning techniques
- Remain up to date with trends in data science, proactively researching new skills and methods
- Communicate results to key decision makers, including Division Heads and regional CEOs
- Educate other divisions and countries on best practices in data science
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a STEM field
- An interest in using data to understand the world around you, and the ability to communicate that understanding to a non-technical audience
- Experience using at least one supervised machine learning technique, such as GLM, random forest, neural network, or gradient boosted ensemble
- Some experience in using data science tools such as R, Python, SQL, etc. either during education or alternative study
- French, Italian, or Spanish language skills are valuable but not essential
Benefits and Work-Life Balance
At Admiral, we are proud to be a diverse business where we put our people and customers first. We have great benefits to ensure employees have a great work-life balance. We want you to have an element of freedom to define a working lifestyle that supports this, so we accommodate flexible hours wherever possible.
Whilst this job is based in our head office in Cardiff, due to the impact of COVID-19 it is likely that you will initially work from home. Until movement is safe, training and projects will take place using online collaboration tools.
If you would like to be considered for this opportunity, please complete an online application form.