Building Surveying Graduate Programme 2021
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
AECOM is one of the world’s largest professional engineering consultancies, bringing a comprehensive portfolio of building services and engineering skills to projects encompassing all types of building and use from world class sporting venues through to commercial properties, healthcare & research, hotels, industrial & manufacturing, and infrastructure both in the UK and overseas.
What we do
We have a number of opportunities across the UK for Building Surveying graduates to work within our surveying teams, to help provide a range of building surveying services to our clients in the UK and around the world. AECOM provides building surveying services to Clients in both the public and private sector, and to organisations in all areas of the Construction Industry including:
- Commercial, condition surveys, refurbishments
- Manufacturing, Industrial and Automotive facilities for Clients such as Rolls Royce, BMW and Jaguar Land Rover
- Education establishments including schools, academies and universities
- Leisure and Culture projects such as theatres, concerts halls and museums
- Defence projects throughout the UK
What you'll do
Project based (design) work
You will have the chance to be involved in all stages of a project. From initial project definition and brief, design and specification, through to procurement, construction and building use, you will have an opportunity to work with a wide variety of clients including some very high profile names, often working alongside other construction professionals in multi-disciplinary teams. We believe that actually doing the work itself gives the best opportunity to learn, so you can expect to be given responsibility, and will need to be able to work both autonomously and as part of a team, all whilst receiving the guidance and support to allow you to develop.
Proffessional based work
You will be given the opportunity to undertake schedules of condition, dilapidations, party wall works and technical due diligence work. Working under the guidance of senior staff to enable you to gain experience and knowledge in these areas.
- Feasibility Studies
- Design and specification
- Detailed drawings (CAD not required, but the ability to provide clear mark ups for CAD to produce drawings will be expected)
- Planning applications
- Listed building and conservation area consents
- Building regulations
- Tendering process
- Contract administration
- Measured surveys
- Condition surveys
- Technical due diligence
- Party wall awards
A Building Surveying Graduate at AECOM could have the opportunity to assist in all of the above tasks, and see projects from inception to completion on site.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (min 2.2 or equivalent) in Building Surveying RICS accredited
- Effective decision making and strong verbal and written communication
- Proactive and driven approach to work and creating success
- Ability to work in a team of diverse individuals to meet common objectives
- Buy in to achieving deadlines set by Clients and Managers
- Good organisation skills; ability to manage multiple tasks and willingness to ask for help when needed, as well as support other members of the team
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP), along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK and Ireland, from over 40 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live and work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution, where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK and Ireland. We will push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time.
You will be assigned a mentor to support and guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multidisciplinary exposure.