Graduate Water Civil Engineers & Consultants Leeds 2022
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM.
Communities around the globe are challenged to find effective ways to manage water throughout the water cycle restoring the water we use to continue sustaining the natural environment. At AECOM, our Water specialists work together worldwide to find innovative solutions to the management of water. We provide technical expertise and solutions for projects across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, in areas such as:
- Flood Management
- Integrated Catchment Management
- Hydraulic Modelling
- Sustainable Drainage
- Water Sensitive Urban Design
- Mains Infrastructure Design (Clean and Foul)
- Non-Infrastructure Design (Pumping Stations, Storage Tanks)
- Dam and Reservoir design
Our projects include the multi-disciplinary Bathing Waters improvements in Torbay for South West Water where AECOM are the lead designer for 5 schemes to improve sewer overflow performance and bathing water quality at local beaches; the Jeddah Stormwater Drainage Programme where AECOM has delivered fast-tracked solutions including 10 flood-protection dams and 170km of channels and conduits to protect the city’s 3.5 million residents; Chester Zoo, where using 360 ingenuity, AECOM designed unique drainage strategies complementing the attraction’s natural aesthetics, including a bespoke Orang-utan proof filter trench and reed beds that treat runoff from the Banteng enclosure.
Another is the York Flood Alleviation Scheme, for which AECOM have been working with the Environment Agency to identify, assess and design holistic solutions for the management of flooding in York, comprising hard and soft defences to adapt to climate change; Sheffield Three Brooks for Sheffield City Council, which involved integrated 1D-2D modelling of heavily urbanized catchments, and testing options for reusing abandoned networks, retrofitting SuDS, natural flood management and culvert daylighting; and, A38 Derby Junction Improvements – a multi-disciplinary road scheme in which AECOM flood risk modellers and engineers have been working with teams from highways, drainage, environment and ecology to design revised junction layouts that improve flood risk whilst simultaneously accommodating all other discipline design constraints.
Working on a wide variety of projects with a variety of clients ensures real opportunities for personal growth and career progression as our graduates develop professionally within a positive culture where learning and development is actively supported and promoted.
- You will participate in the civil engineering design input to; flood management, water treatment, drainage and sustainable drainage systems, water resource management, water asset management and design, and dam design. You will also gain knowledge of integrated catchment management as well as hydrologic and hydraulic modelling.
- Working with other team members to undertake technical work, site work, and project management
- Opportunities for working on site and site visits, to develop wider understanding of how designs are implemented
Graduate Water Consultant
- You will undertake a range of flood risk related work including; hydraulic modelling of flood risk (for a range of sources), hydrology, flood risk assessment, flood mapping, integrated catchment management, flood mitigation assessment (including both hard and soft-engineered solutions) concept design and option appraisal.
- Working with other team members to undertake technical work, site work, and project management.
- Opportunities for working on site and site visits, to develop wider understanding of how designs are implemented.
- BEng in Civil or Structural Engineering, with a 2:1 classification (or equivalent)
- MEng in Civil or Structural Engineering, or MSc in Hydraulics or Hydrology would be an advantage
- Geography degree or MSc in Fluvial Geomorphology, Catchment Management/Processes, Water Resources, Hydrology, with a 2:1 classification (or equivalent)
- Water related modules would be an advantage
- Relevant work experience would be an advantage
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, technically proficient, with ambition and drive.
- Basic computer skills essential (Word/Excel) and good report writing skills beneficial.
- Willing and able to work towards professional qualifications such as ICE & CIWEM
- Demonstrable interest in water projects
- Capability to satisfy client and business expectations and be able to consider the wider financial and commercial implications of their actions.
- Communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing.
- Structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole.
- Ability to work independently without losing initiative & focus
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come.
We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.