Internal Audit Internship 2021
AIG’s Internal Audit Group (IAG) provides independent and objective assurance, advice, and insight guided by a philosophy of adding value to improve the operations of AIG. IAG assists AIG in accomplishing its objectives by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of AIG’s control environment including risk management, operational, financial, internal control, and governance processes.
Internal Audit is comprised of approximately 350 auditors who are located in strategic hubs – New York, Charlotte, Houston, UK, Hong Kong, Tokyo, and 10 other locations.
As a Summer Intern you will have an exciting opportunity to learn about AIG’s products and services and enhance your knowledge and skillsets as you participate in audit projects across multiple businesses and functions including General Insurance, Life & Retirement, and Corporate Functions such as Enterprise Risk Management, Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology, Investments, and Legal, Compliance and Regulatory.
You will collaborate with AIG business area and functional stakeholders, IAG and other assurance teams to:
- Gain a well-rounded understanding of how AIG operates by participating in audit projects covering different departments and functions
- Assist in identifying and analyzing the key inherent risks in the stakeholder’s business and the key controls that management has implemented to mitigate their risks
- Participate in the full audit lifecycle including planning, testing of controls, reporting and issue verification
- Learn IAG’s Global Audit Methodology and professional standards for audit engagements
Summer interns will gain tremendous insight into how AIG manages risk. Highlights of the opportunity include a variety of experiences, accelerated exposure, leadership opportunities, useful skill set, and an enjoyable work environment.
For those who would like to obtain their CPA, CIA, CISA or other relevant certifications, initial placement with Audit provides licensure-qualifying experience.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Assist with testing of controls to ensure they are working as designed by reviewing documentation, meeting with management to discuss the business processes, and observing general business operations
- Perform data analysis to identify anomalies or issues in the testing of controls, partnering with the IAG data analytics team
- Identify the root cause for control deficiencies and evaluate management action plans to address deficiencies
- Document audit activities, identified issues, and conclusions to assist audit team with reporting to the stakeholders
Summer Internship Program Description
Joining the AIG Summer Internship Program is a great way to enhance your business acumen and gain insight into our industry. Summer interns are placed into meaningful and influential roles that have an immediate and integral impact on the business.
The Summer Internship Program lasts approximately 10 weeks and is targeted to students in the penultimate year of their undergraduate or graduate education. After initial orientation, summer interns will join one of our business lines, each of which offers a unique opportunity to obtain core technical knowledge and professional skills in a diverse and global environment. In addition to the experience acquired on the job, summer interns have the opportunity to learn directly from senior management, and participate in webinars, discussion forums, and networking receptions.
Summer interns establish goals with their managers during the first week, and the goals are measured at the mid and end points of the summer. Successful summer interns may be considered for full-time analyst positions to begin summer of 2022.
- Expected minimum 2.1 degree classification
- Pursuant of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, graduating in 2022
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and interpersonal communication skills
- Proven ability to quickly assess problems and identify effective solutions
- Keen attention to detail
IAG is seeking candidates who have excelled in previous work experience, possess strong analytical, quantitative and interpersonal skills, and are enthusiastic about and committed to AIG to contribute to IAG’s mission of being an industry leading internal audit team and key contributor to the achievement of the firm’s strategic goals. We are looking for candidates who are proactive, continuously learn and introduce improved ways of doing things, both to business stakeholders in development of solutions to problems, IAG processes, including the use of data analytics.
The ideal candidates will be bold thinkers with an entrepreneurial bent, and will possess a powerful blend of IQ (technical skills, consistent learning, statistical & financial acumen) and emotional intelligence [EQ] (adaptive communication, empathy, listening skills, challenging with humility). IAG also looks for diverse backgrounds of experience, culture and thought. Successful candidates typically have a global perspective and a record of successful teamwork. You will be part of a large and diverse firm working within a team-oriented environment. You will gain a unique view of AIG, as part of planning and executing on all aspects of the audit process and risk assessment activities and will build close working relationships with business and functional leaders, colleagues across other assurance functions, and fellow team members.