Legal Internship 2021
The AIG EMEA Legal Team sit within the broader Global Legal, Compliance and Regulatory Department (“GLCR”) which delivers high quality legal advice, along with compliance and regulatory services, with integrity and objectivity to achieve AIG’s business goals. This is a global, diverse and award-winning team that has been recognized for its leadership and innovative solutions. The team also has an award-winning pro bono program.
The AIG EMEA Legal Team is made up of lawyers and professionals within the following general areas: Business Unit support for Commercial and Consumer Lines; Data Protection, Technology and Outsourcing and Corporate Areas such as M&A and Restructuring. We work closely with both the EMEA Regulatory and Compliance teams.
As a Summer Intern, you will work closely with mentors and colleagues as you are challenged with meaningful, business-critical projects. Additionally, you will gain an understanding of AIG’s business and the role of GLCR, and you will be able to draw on this experience as you consider your future career plans.
Summer Interns generally have the following responsibilities within the EMEA Legal Team:
- Provide support and assistance to in-house lawyers in the provision of legal advice to business partners.
- Support the business in applying UK and European laws/rules and regulations, insurance specific and otherwise, as applicable.
- Support business partners such as Product Development, Sales/Marketing, Administration, Compliance, Finance, and/or Actuarial, by providing advice with respect to the day-to-day operations of the company.
- Research various laws/rules and regulations, points of law and case law updates.
- Assist in the drafting and negotiation of documentation relating to the commercial and consumer business lines including broker agreements, claims handling agreements, distribution agreements, vendor agreements, sponsorship agreements, reinsurance agreements, and/or other similar business relationships.
- Assist in the drafting and negotiation of insurance policies.
- Track, analyse, and report on legislative and regulatory developments, as well as industry trends impacting the business.
- Liaise with in-house lawyers in other European jurisdictions when assisting on multi-jurisdictional arrangements.
- Assist with pro-bono activity within the team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Summer Internship Program Description
Joining the AIG Summer Internship Program is a great way to enhance your business acumen and gain insight into our industry. Summer Interns are placed into meaningful and influential roles that have an immediate and integral impact on the business.
The Summer Internship Program lasts approximately 10 weeks and for Legal is targeted to students in the final year of their undergraduate or penultimate year of their graduate education. After initial orientation, Summer Interns will join the EMEA Legal Team, offering a unique opportunity to obtain core technical knowledge and professional skills in a diverse and global environment. In addition to the experience acquired on the job, Summer Interns have the opportunity to learn directly from senior management, and participate in webinars, discussion forums, and networking sessions.
Summer Interns establish goals with their managers during the first week, and the goals are measured at the mid and end points of the summer. Successful Summer Interns may be considered to join the AIG full-time program in 2022 upon successful completion of the Legal Practice Course.
- Pursuant of a Law degree, graduating in 2021
- Expected minimum 2.1 degree classification
- Pursuant of a Graduate Diploma in Law (following the successful completion of a non-law undergraduate degree with a minimum 2.1 classification), graduating in 2021
- Expected minimum Commendation
AIG seeks candidates who have excelled in previous work experience, demonstrated outstanding academic and extracurricular achievement, possess strong analytical, quantitative and interpersonal skills, and are enthusiastic about and committed to the insurance industry and legal profession.
The ideal candidates will be bold thinkers with an entrepreneurial bent, and will possess a powerful blend of IQ (technical skills, consistent learning, statistical & financial acumen) and EQ (adaptive communication, empathy, listening skills, challenging with humility).
We also look for a diverse background of experience, culture, and thought. Successful candidates typically have a global perspective and a record of successful teamwork.
How to Apply
In order to be considered, an online application including CV is required.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission – creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.