Flight Physics Placement 2022
Airbus pioneers sustainable aerospace for a safe and united world. The Company constantly innovates to provide efficient and technologically-advanced solutions in aerospace, defence, and connected services. In commercial aircraft, Airbus offers modern and fuel-efficient airliners and associated services. Airbus is also a European leader in defence and security and one of the world's leading space businesses. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions and services worldwide.
Application closing date: We encourage you to apply early to avoid disappointment! Please note we will close adverts as soon as we receive sufficient applications.
To stay on top, Airbus recognises the importance of supporting high-achieving and talented undergraduates. We do this through offering challenging placement opportunities during which your skills and potential are fully maximised.
Our placements give a unique insight into potential career paths within Airbus. They are designed so that you can put your theoretical knowledge into practice and gain crucial industry experience. The skills and knowledge you gain will improve your chances of a future role within the Airbus and should benefit your future studies.
Flight Physics is responsible for the overall aircraft design activities across all the stages of aircraft development, from pre-design work to in-service support. There are four departments covering a wide range of activities: Aerodynamics, Loads & Aeroelastics, Mass Properties and Flight Physics Capability. The majority of Flight Physics activities are focused on aircraft programmes such as the A350XWB, A320neo and future aircraft research programmes, but there is also significant effort on R&T, capability/tool development and data science, as a result work activities are varied and interesting.
Flight Physics is an exciting department to work for in a number of ways
- We get to impact the overall aircraft design before it gets broken into individual components for detailed analysis. This means we get to build an understanding of the impact top level inputs have on the aircraft design.
- We get a chance to work on challenging technical problems as well as project management and interfacing with customers and suppliers.
- Each team works on a number of different programmes from current developments to future aircraft and R&T, so you get to experience a diverse range of activities and work.
- Our teams are distributed across sites in France, Germany, India, Spain and the UK bringing a wide variety of cultures.
Our four different departments are
- Aerodynamics: Are responsible for designing the wing shape, developing the aircraft configuration and characterising the aerodynamic behaviour of the aircraft. Multiple techniques are used, including CFD calculations and wind tunnel testing, to achieve a design with the best possible performance.
- Loads & Aeroelastics: Generate the definition of the loads that the aircraft will experience on ground and in flight at the most extreme conditions that could be encountered, which are then used to design the airframe, landing gear and systems.
- Mass Properties: Perform tracking and prediction activities for aircraft weight, to achieve the optimum weight for any aircraft component. Some key parts of this is developing tools to forecast the component and aircraft weight and verifying the weights of the final manufactured product.
- Flight Physics Capability: Develop the diverse range of tools and capabilities used by Flight Physics and are looking at how to apply new technologies such as Design Space Exploration, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Data Analytics to our business.
What you will be doing
Placement students make a significant contribution to Flight Physics. You will be given responsibility in your placement, doing real and challenging work within your team and experiencing a wide range of technical topics. A typical 12 months placement will consist of a main project within one of the departments mentioned above, that will run for the length of the placement, with additional shorter tasks to give exposure to other subjects. The placement will be varied and require you to use and develop different skills (technical, project management, communication etc.) in order to complete them successfully.
Please note, we love your interest in working for Airbus but we do ask that you make only one application. We encourage you to take time to decide which of our exciting opportunities is right for you and then submit an application that best represents you, your skills and experience in connection with the role you have selected.
One application: Make It Possible, Make It Happen, Make It … Count !
Please note our placements are open to Undergraduates only. Therefore it is mandatory for candidates to be an undergraduate for the whole duration of the placement.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following;
- An undergrad studying for at least two years in Physics, Aeronautical, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Data Science or a similar technical subject.
- Naturally curious and excited to build understanding
- Ability to manage problems, communicating effectively to resolve them in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive, love to learn and be able to focus on your own self development
- Creativity and desire to innovate and develop new capabilities
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We cannot promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
- £18,000 salary
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Flexible working hours
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.