Junior Digital Models Engineer 2021
Airbus pioneers sustainable aerospace for a safe and united world. The Company constantly innovates to provide efficient and technologically-advanced solutions in aerospace, defence, and connected services. In commercial aircraft, Airbus offers modern and fuel-efficient airliners and associated services. Airbus is also a European leader in defence and security and one of the world's leading space businesses. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions and services worldwide.
We are looking for an RF / Digital Simulation & Payload Systems Modelling Engineer to join Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth. You will join our Telecom Payload System Engineering team, integrated within our Space Engineering group and supporting the Telecom Business Line.
The Telecom Payload System Engineering team is a centre of competence gathering expertise in RF Systems; Electrical Systems; Mechanical & Thermal Systems and EMC. The team provides engineering support to the Portsmouth-based Telecom Payload Team.
The team contributes to the delivery of Telecom payloads flying on Eurostar, OneSat and other third party platforms, as well as supporting studies, R&D and proposals.
As part of the role delivered by the System Engineering team, engineers are required to develop representative software simulation models for various purposes including for instance:
- End-to-end telecom systems
- Performance prediction of telecom payloads
- Simulation of advanced subsystems.
- Digital Signal Processing
- Investigate non-conformances
The team currently relies on various tools: some standard OTS software products are used (Matlab Simulink; Keysight ADS; HTS; SystemVue; Microwave Office; Ticra Satsoft; STK; etc) and the team also relies on internally developed solutions.
The objective of the role is to contribute to the development of the models described above, to support their use in the team and to support their integration with other models developed in other areas of the Airbus Space Systems business (for instance ground systems). In addition, active participation to the definition of the roadmap for new developments for future tools and missions is also expected
Take part to the development of new and existing software modelling tools
- As used by the various teams within Payload System Engineering
- Provide technical support to projects, proposals and R&D activities
- Make sure all development is carried-out in adherence with standard / defined processes, and that documentation associated with the tools and models developed is kept up to date
Contribute to the development roadmap
- Working with colleagues in the development team and on projects, identify potential new requirements
- Take an active role in capturing these new requirements in the team’s simulation tools roadmap: integrate to the department’s roadmap, taking also into account Airbus DTO / Airbus DS DDMS initiatives
Understand or interpret projects’ requirements
In line with the emergence of new payload architectures requiring the modelling of new subsystems for which the existing standard modelling tools are not suitable (multi-port amplifiers; processors; active antenna; etc.).
Represent the Payload System Department and liaise with other engineering groups for digitalisation and modelling – including for instance
- Airbus Central Engineering software team (TESO): with software developers working on S^3 and OASIS and software developers working on TRAC suite
- Airbus DS Digital Transformation Office (DTO) and in particular the Space System DDMS team
Support proposal activities and contribute to R&D / studies as and when required
Occasionally, the role might require first hand involvement in the generation of RF analysis of payload performance; the compilation of written reports or analysis documentation and possibly the presentation of the analysis data to the customer (in the context of customers’ gate reviews: PDR; BDR; CDR; etc.)
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience with modelling software used for end-to-end RF communication chains, eg. Matlab, Simulink, ADS, SystemVue, etc
- Proficiency with Programming languages (Python, Visual Basic, C)
- Microwave / high frequency RF engineering
- Good understanding of RF communication signal design techniques (e.g. modulation, encoding, filtering)
- Solid theoretical background on digital communications and proven ability to apply the theory to solve practical problems
- Ability to lead a team within a complex multiple stakeholders’ environment
- Comfortable presenting and articulating complex subjects to unfamiliar audiences
What we can offer you
In return we can offer a competitive salary with annual profit share; an ever growing list of company benefits including enhanced pay for maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave and very strong, very real strong career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
Please let us know if you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for the selection process – you can share this with the Recruitment Business Partner who gets in touch if you are invited to interview. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; auxiliary aids; room layout etc. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.#LI-AS1
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.