Landing Gear Graduate 2022
Airbus pioneers sustainable aerospace for a safe and united world. The Company constantly innovates to provide efficient and technologically-advanced solutions in aerospace, defence, and connected services. In commercial aircraft, Airbus offers modern and fuel-efficient airliners and associated services. Airbus is also a European leader in defence and security and one of the world's leading space businesses. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions and services worldwide.
Landing Gear is one of Airbus Commercial’s six Engineering Centres of Competence along with Cabin and Cargo, Airframe, Systems, Flight Physics and Power plant.
We collaborate with other business functions to deliver on programme and maintain technical excellence for Landing Gear topics including:
- Landing systems definition and vendor management for new aircraft programmes, incremental developments and to support continuous product development.
- Integration, evolution, application and maturity of Landing Gear development processes, through state of the art simulations and data analytics technologies.
- Proactive product support for industrialisation, production and in-service.
- Execution of product, technology and innovation strategies to deliver Landing Gear related Research and Technology (R&T) for future and current Airbus products.
The philosophy of the Landing Gear team is to provide a stimulating, exciting and rewarding working experience for all of our people. We embrace diversity and believe in building empowered teams of complementary personalities and skills.
The graduate scheme
The Landing Gear Graduate programme is a 2 year and 3 months scheme that combines structured placements with focused training, offering you the opportunity to develop yourself and master the technical skills and personal qualities needed for a career in Airbus’ Landing Gear Centre of Competence. As a Landing Gear Graduate you will be working towards one of the following technical disciplines:
- Systems Design / Control / Avionics
- Mechanical Design / Installation
- Structural Analysis
- Modelling & Simulation
Supported by a career mentor and an early careers coordinator, your scheme will involve 5-8 placements, which are typically 3 to 6 months in duration. Together with your mentor, you will be able to plan and tailoring your placements in line with your development and learning objectives:
- You will complete several placements that will expose you to different stages of the product life cycle and our position in the value chain.
- Airbus encourages placements outside of Landing Gear CoC to experience the wider business and broaden your network. This may include a placement with Airbus France, Germany or Spain to get exposure to other ways of working within Airbus Commercial or another Airbus division, plus more hands-on experience with our products.
- There may also be an opportunity to work with the Airbus Supply Chain or Airbus Customers to understand our relationships with them and to experience other business models, technologies and mindsets from around the world.
- The graduate scheme has a mix of core training modules and role specific training to improve both your soft skills, product knowledge and technical competencies in preparation for your first position and the start of your Airbus journey.
What you will be doing
As an Airbus Graduate in a Landing Gear role, you may find yourself :
- Working in a collaborative team to help build predictive maintenance algorithms which aim to increase both the aircraft availability and reliability using data analytics methods and our big data platform, Skywise.
- Consulting with experts during the validation and verification of systems design by defining requirements both at system and equipment level prior to the testing phase, which is completed through the use of models, simulations and test rigs.
- Developing relationships with in-service and production teams to investigate and evaluate the stress experienced by a damaged component or providing feedback to the Final Assembly Line, enabling efficiency improvements.
- Building collective knowledge in the centre, problem solving, reporting your findings, presenting progress and results to stakeholders, enabling teamwork across functions and sites.
Skills - Your profile
We are looking for outstanding candidates who want to shape the future of landing systems and have obtained a degree level (2:1 or above) or accredited MSc/MEng or equivalent in one of the following degrees:
- Any relevant Engineering degree (or in combination with another) such as Aerospace, Mechanical, Systems and Mechatronics.
- Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science.
- Data Science and Analytics.
The following personal characteristics are relevant for the position:
- With excellent interpersonal skills, you listen actively and promote collaboration and dialogue.
- Always thinking of the customer first
- You take ownership to ensure collective and individual performance
- You deal with uncertainty and change with a positive mind-set maintaining a good energy level, demonstrating tenacity, resilience and perseverance when faced with adversity
- You build an environment of trust, nurture relationships and build networks.
- Bold in seeking out new opportunities, you are happy experimenting with new ways of working and thinking whilst also simplifying.
- Continuously growing by seeking feedback, you are self-aware and can manage your own personal development.
When you leave the scheme we expect you to have picked up the skills that lay the foundations for a long career in aerospace, for example:
- Product knowledge of the landing gear functions, systems and components
- Familiarity with Airbus Engineering design processes, methods and tools
- Core systems engineering skills applied to real world aircraft design
- Awareness of modelling and simulation tools and techniques
- Knowledge of airworthiness requirements and management
- Engineering activities as applied at different stages of the product life cycle, e.g. In-Service support, Major Mods & Continuous Product Development
If you feel that this is your profile and you want to join the European leader in aerospace, please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.