Landing Gear Technical Engineering Placement 2022
Airbus pioneers sustainable aerospace for a safe and united world. The Company constantly innovates to provide efficient and technologically-advanced solutions in aerospace, defence, and connected services. In commercial aircraft, Airbus offers modern and fuel-efficient airliners and associated services. Airbus is also a European leader in defence and security and one of the world's leading space businesses. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions and services worldwide.
Application closing date: We encourage you to apply early to avoid disappointment! Please note we will close adverts as soon as we receive sufficient applications.
To stay on top, Airbus recognises the importance of supporting high-achieving and talented undergraduates. We do this through offering challenging placement opportunities during which your skills and potential are fully maximised.
Our placements give a unique insight into potential career paths within Airbus. They are designed so that you can put your theoretical knowledge into practice and gain crucial industry experience. The skills and knowledge you gain will improve your chances of a future role within the Airbus and should benefit your future studies.
Landing Gear is one of Airbus Commercial’s six Engineering Centres of Competence including Cabin and Cargo, Airframe, Systems, Flight Physics and Power plant.
We collaborate with other business functions to deliver on programmes and maintain technical excellence for Landing Gear topics:
- Landing systems definition and vendor management for new programmes, incremental developments and to support continuous product development.
- Integration, evolution, application and maturity of Landing Gear development processes, through state of the art simulations and data analytics technologies.
- Proactive product support for industrialisation, production and in-service.
- Execution of product, technology and innovation strategies to deliver Landing Gear related Research and Technology (R&T) for future and current Airbus products.
The philosophy of the Landing Gear team is to provide a stimulating, exciting and rewarding working experience for all of our people. We embrace diversity and believe in building empowered teams of complementary personalities and skills.
What you will be doing
Are you interested in developing solutions for the future environmentally sustainable aircraft?
You will be given the opportunity to work with experienced teams across the Airbus aircraft family, from new development through to in-service aircraft, as well potentially working alongside suppliers, customers and manufacturing assembly. You are expected to contribute to the creation of optimum solutions for the landing gear product, to own projects where possible and to support on-going activities. You will also join our early careers community who support your professional development and to help integrate into life in the vibrant city of Bristol.
As an Airbus placement student in a Landing Gear role, you may find yourself
- Working in a collaborative team to help build predictive maintenance algorithms which aim to increase both the aircraft availability and reliability using data analytics methods and our big data platform, Skywise.
- Consulting with experts during the validation and verification of systems design by defining requirements both at system and equipment level prior to the testing phase, which is completed through the use of models, simulations and test rigs.
- Developing relationships with in-service and production teams to investigate and evaluate the stress experienced by a damaged component or providing feedback to the Final Assembly Line, enabling efficiency improvements.
- Building collective knowledge in the centre, problem solving, reporting your findings, presenting progress and results to stakeholders, enabling teamwork across functions and sites.
Please note, we love your interest in working for Airbus but we do ask that you make only one application. We encourage you to take time to decide which of our exciting opportunities is right for you and then submit an application that best represents you, your skills and experience in connection with the role you have selected.
One application: Make It Possible, Make It Happen, Make It … Count !
Please note our placements are open to Undergraduates only. Therefore it is mandatory for candidates to be an undergraduate for the whole duration of the placement.
We are looking for outstanding candidates who want to shape the future of landing systems and are on your way to obtaining a degree in one of the following subjects:
- Any relevant Engineering degree (or in combination with another) such as Aerospace, Mechanical, Systems and Mechatronics.
- Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science.
- Data Science and Analytics.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following;
- Inquisitive mindset with good problem solving skills.
- High level of commitment and proactivity, taking ownership of projects.
- Willing to learn from mistakes and channel feedback into personal development.
- Demonstrating tenacity, resilience and perseverance when faced with adversity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team.
Desirable skills and experience
- Computer aided design e.g. CATIA
- Some previous coding experience in C/C++, python.
- Use of modelling tools such as ADAMS, Matlab Simulink, Fluent.
Many of our Interns have ultimately been successful in joining the Landing Gear Graduate scheme and have built successful careers in technical disciplines such as:
- Systems Design / Control / Avionics
- Mechanical Design / Installation
- Structural Analysis
- Modelling & Simulation
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.
- £18,000 salary
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Flexible working hours
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.