Lightning Direct Effects Engineering Placement 2022
Airbus pioneers sustainable aerospace for a safe and united world. The Company constantly innovates to provide efficient and technologically-advanced solutions in aerospace, defence, and connected services. In commercial aircraft, Airbus offers modern and fuel-efficient airliners and associated services. Airbus is also a European leader in defence and security and one of the world's leading space businesses. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions and services worldwide.
Application closing date: We encourage you to apply early to avoid disappointment! Please note we will close adverts as soon as we receive sufficient applications.
To stay on top, Airbus recognises the importance of supporting high-achieving and talented undergraduates. We do this through offering challenging placement opportunities during which your skills and potential are fully maximised.
Our placements give a unique insight into potential career paths within Airbus. They are designed so that you can put your theoretical knowledge into practice and gain crucial industry experience. The skills and knowledge you gain will improve your chances of a future role within the Airbus and should benefit your future studies.
The Lightning Direct Effects (LDE) group is a transnational team within the System Engineering Design Office responsible for providing all aspects of aircraft protection against the direct effects of lightning strikes, with a significant focus on protection of fuel tanks and the general fuel system, keeping the growing fleets in the air and preparing technology for the array of Zero Emission aircraft to be introduced in the near future.
The LDE team’s responsibilities include developing and applying innovative lightning protection solutions by focusing on research & technology, working closely with research institutions, industrial partners and the airworthiness regulators.
The department operates across all Airbus sites, all Airbus aircraft programmes and all aircraft components (wing, fuselage, tail) and interns will be fully integrated into a transnational way of working, encouraged to work with colleagues on all Airbus sites and functions, on a daily basis.
What you will be doing
As a students your main mission will be to provide protection to the fuel system, you will work closely with the fuel systems and structures departments. We are passionate about developing placement students to prepare our future, and so whilst you will be given challenging objectives, you will also be fully supported in your mission to fully exploit the state of the art knowledge and techniques in aircraft lightning protection and in doing so develop your technical and behavioural competencies.
As a student in our team, you will be expected to:-
- Develop optimised lightning protection solutions for the design & development of aircraft fuel tank & fuel system protection using latest analytical & test techniques
- Provide compliance with certification requirements under ATA391 (lightning direct effects) for delivery to certification authorities EASA and FAA.
- Provide a strong link between research and technology activities to existing Airbus products and future designs, including Zero Emission aircraft, to ensure exploitation of state of the art techniques.
- Develop harmonised design solutions and policies that have aircraft level benefits across multi-programme and multi-components where possible.
- Longer term; developing an ability to provide reactive support to manufacturing (concessions analysis) and in-service queries (including AOGs).
Our Interns operate in a very challenging environment, where they will be given a real and valued role within the LDE team. During the Internship, you will get the opportunity to have multiple placements working with experienced teams across the Airbus Aircraft Family, from new developments through to in-service Aircraft, as well as working alongside customers, suppliers and manufacturing assembly where necessary.
Please note, we love your interest in working for Airbus but we do ask that you make only one application. We encourage you to take time to decide which of our exciting opportunities is right for you and then submit an application that best represents you, your skills and experience in connection with the role you have selected.
One application: Make It Possible, Make It Happen, Make It … Count !
Please note our placements are open to Undergraduates only. Therefore it is mandatory for candidates to be an undergraduate for the whole duration of the placement.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following;
- Studying towards an engineering or technical degree (for example mechanical, electrical/electronic and/or aeronautical based degrees)
- A natural curiosity and excitement to explore engineering principles and creating solutions based on technical intuition and evidence
- An ability to communicate clearly and concisely - collaboration skills within our team are essential
- Excellent organisation skills - to plan the use of resources to complete goals and objectives to a high standard
- A keen interest in the Aerospace industry and profession
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.
- £18,000 salary
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Flexible working hours
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.