Civil Engineering Placement Programme 2021
Our summer placements are designed for first, second and penultimate year undergraduate students who are looking for practical work experience to support their university studies.
You may only be with us for a few months, but we’ll give you valuable work experience and development opportunities. As well as a competitive salary, you’ll get to work on key projects and experience working alongside specialists in your selected area. High performers may be invited to apply to join our Graduate Programme, and/or offered sponsorship through their final year at university.
Based at our Amey Consulting Scotland design hubs in Glasgow or Edinburgh, you can expect to be involved in a range of schemes from inception through to construction. We deliver projects throughout Scotland and further afield from bridge inspections to the design, construction and maintenance of nationally significant road schemes. Some projects current to our Scotland teams are the development of the A96 Dualling East of Huntly to Aberdeen, Design and delivery of projects for South West Scotland Trunk Road Contract, Flood protection studies and Design of river engineering and scour management, Design of the A90/A938 Laurencekirk Junction and structural health monitoring schemes for long span bridges across the region.
Our multidisciplinary teams encompass all aspects of investigation, design and construction of roads, bridges and civil structures, geotechnical engineering, ITS and lighting, rail, environmental consultancy, utilities, BIM and transport planning schemes. We pride ourselves in working collaboratively within the team, stakeholders and our clients to deliver innovative and practical engineering design solutions.
Based in our Glasgow or Edinburgh office, you can expect to get involved in the following:
- Preparing design calculations, contract documentation, drawings, technical documents and project reports complying with current standards.
- Undertaking survey duties as required.
- Assisting in the investigation, feasibility study, outline design, detailed design and implementation of highway and railway bridge projects.
- Assisting in the inspection and structural assessment of highway and railway bridge structures.
- Using appropriate technical / engineering and analysis software including Autodesk Structural Bridge Design, Graitec Supersuite and similar.
- Ensuring compliance with relevant health, safety and environmental legislation through the design and work stages.
- Assisting in the implementation of effective, value for money and innovative design solutions.
- Students working towards an undergraduate degree (in a related discipline) who are predicted to achieve at least a 2:2
- Available to join the programme in Summer 2021
- Good interpersonal and team-working skills, with evidence of problem-solving ability
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- People who enjoy a challenge – we’ll ask you to work on a whole range of projects, to help you develop your skills
- Committed and passionate about your career and our industry
- A natural self-starter, focussed on developing both personal and professional skills to drive your career forwards
- Eligible to work and live permanently in the UK
- Relevant work experience would be desirable
We treat people as individuals. We want a range of abilities, from practicality and problem solving to precision and creativity. That goes for diversity too. We want a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve and value the experience that you bring to our business.
- A competitive salary of £18,138 pro rata.
- We as a business will support you every step of the way; you’ll have a manager to support your progress and access to a dedicated Early Careers community to support you.
- We’ll give you valuable work experience and development opportunities.