City Economics Consultant Graduate 2021
At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking consultancy through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world. Our people are at the heart of our business. We pride ourselves in ensuring that our people embrace the Arup values when dealing with both our colleagues and our clients.
Cities are the world's engines for growth and will drive future prosperity; nearly seventy percent of the world's population will be living in them by 2030. Cities are the places which address global issues, provide the innovations of the future and fuel the global economy. Arup is at the forefront of thinking on many of the issues that will shape cities' development. We have developed powerful collaborations with some of the leading thinkers, lobbyists and drivers of city transformation, including:
- City governments and mayors, such as the London Infrastructure Plan
- Urban transport bodies
- Airports, such as Heathrow, Luton and Gatwick
- Property developers and regeneration companies
- Civil engineering projects such as intercity rail, highways and ports
As part of Arup's Integrated City Planning practice, the City Economics and Planning team provides strategy, planning, economic and financial consulting services to high-profile clients on many of the most important issues that are faced by cities, particularly those pertaining to infrastructure and the built environment, such as housing and transportation.
City Economics projects include economic appraisals of individual large-scale transport and housing investments, regeneration and economic development strategies, ex-ante policy appraisals, funding studies, development of infrastructure plans, business cases and economic evaluation studies. As part of our work, we work in collaboration with urban planners, landscape architects, urban designers, transport planners and sustainability experts, for instance in feasibility studies, business plans for major new urban infrastructure and masterplans.
Are you interested in a career in City Economics?
We are currently looking for Graduate Consultants to join our City Economics team of bright professionals in our London office.
From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and provided with great training opportunities. You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills. Working as part of a team, your role will be to advise city-focused clients on a range of strategic, policy, economic and financial issues. Across the public and private sectors, you will help manage client relationships with public sector agencies, project and property developers, infrastructure operators and other organisations. This will involve primary and secondary research, data analysis, economic and financial modelling, information design and report writing skills.
We're looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the industry and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we'd like to hear from you. We'd like you to have a personal interest in cities, and the value placed on the things that make them tick, such as transport, housing, cultural facilities, and social infrastructure.We're looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- An undergraduate or Master's degree in economics, finance, public
policy/administration, economic geography/geography, urban studies, business,
planning, urban design and public management is preferred.
- Degree predicted 2:1 or higher (or equivalent), ideally with placement experience
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Microsoft Excel
- Ability to analyse data and maps
- Ability to interpret the needs of clients and other stakeholders
- Ability to take a strategic view on complex, multifaceted issues
- Ability to help develop research methods and execute research projects
- Other skills such as GIS, statistical analysis, and graphic design are beneficial but not required
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You'll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
Interested in finding out more?
Assessment Centres will take place from December 2020, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
Please note that we are unable to offer Skilled Worker Visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.