Climate Cities Summer Intern 2021
At Arup, we are passionate about designing and delivering ground-breaking work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we are a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts using our skills to help shape a better world.
As Arup continues to focus on our digital transformation, we seamlessly combine digital and data-related capabilities with Arup's traditional engineering and design strengths to help solve complex problems more efficiently and offer new ways of working in this digital age.
Our Energy, Cities and Climate Change (ECCC) team is a multi-disciplinary group of engineers, policy experts and environmental scientists who focus on the challenges and opportunities of energy, climate change and cities. We support public and private sector clients to make plans and development projects to deliver their low carbon and climate resilience ambitions. We conduct research, advise on policy, model options, engineer solutions and make the case for investment. Typical services include
- Preparation of climate and decarbonisation strategies and action plans
- Low carbon energy project development including masterplanning, techno-economic modelling, commercial structures and financial modelling.
- Modelling and data analytics to conduct research, build future scenarios and optimise solutions.
- Sustainability and energy plans for masterplan developments
- Feasiblity and front-end engineering design of distributed energy systems including district heating networks.
All of our work is grounded in rigorous analysis and informed by engineering, commercial, stakeholder, policy and governance perspectives. Based in London, we work on projects close to home, across the UK and around the world.
Are you interested in a career in Energy and Climate Change?
We have an opportunity for a Summer Placement student to join our team of bright professionals. Your role will be to assist the existing ECCC team with an expanding workload and to offer complementary and new skills to growing this area.
Your day to day tasks may include
- Helping prepare net-zero carbon pathway and energy transition strategies for cities, countries and businesses
- Undertaking data-driven environmental, technical and economic modelling of complex energy systems or areas (in Excel or Python)
- Supporting the design of low carbon infrastructure projects
- Literature reviews and data analysis
- Site visits and surveys
- Organising internal and external events
- Report and presentation drafting
- Workshop and meeting participation and organisation
- Policy and legislation investigation low carbon and renewable technologies
- Supporting the development of proposals for new commissions
- Participating in the on-going group research activities
We are looking for candidates with enthusiasm, curiosity, personal drive, technical knowhow and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the Energy and Climate Change Consulting sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we would like to hear from you.
We are looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills
- Either currently studying or graduated in 2020 / 2021 with a prediction or having already achieved a of 2:1 or higher (or equivalent) in Engineering, Environmental Science, Geography, Urban Studies or Public/Environmental Policy, with particular focus on energy, climate change and sustainability. Other degrees will be considered if supported by strong quantitative skills and climate change and sustainability-related studies and experience.
- Outstanding research and communication skills, particularly high-quality writing of technical and non-technical documents.
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills.
- People with a diversity of interests and experience and with a passion for addressing the challenges of climate change and the energy transition.
There are infinite possibilities with Arup. You'll receive an insight of the opportunities that a challenging, fulfilling career provides, and
- A competitive salary
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team of over 15 like-minded individuals in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
Shape your time with us
Our goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a great place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. We therefore welcome applications from diverse candidates. This includes people with disabilities so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
At Arup, you'll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. As a firm with an increasingly agile workforce, we're open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.