Geoenvironmental Engineers - Industrial Placement 2021
At Arup we design and deliver ground-breaking and iconic projects through our work in infrastructure, building design and by providing specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Our ground engineering specialists apply their skills to buildings and infrastructure projects across the globe. Our areas of expertise include geotechnical engineering, geology / geohazards, geo-environmental, hydrogeology and seismic engineering. We offer our clients a broad spectrum of expertise and consulting services in a wide variety of areas including building developments and area masterplans, design for highways, railways, energy facilities, mining and water infrastructure projects as well as design of education, sports and leisure facilities.
As one of the world's leading building and infrastructure design consultancies, we offer clients the innovation and technical know-how to continually deliver their projects on schedule and on budget, but without compromise.
About the role
We are currently recruiting for students to join our well-established teams across the UK, during their degree for a 11-12-month Industrial Placement.
You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. You'll be given responsibility for tasks from day one, and we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Depending on performance, there may be an opportunity to receive a permanent offer of employment upon graduating.
We encourage our Industrial Trainee Geoenvironmental Engineers to demonstrate drive and motivation, a willingness to learn about our sector, and a desire to effectively deliver an excellent service to our clients. As such, we are looking for the following qualifications, skills and attributes in you:
- Strong A-levels (or equivalent) at Grade B or above;
- Studying for an MSc or BSc in Geology, Environmental Geology Environmental Engineering, Environmental Assessment, Environmental Management, Environmental Science, Hydrogeology or Geography
- On track to achieve a 2.1 or above, as proven through the modules completed to date;
- An awareness of sustainability and the UN Sustainable Development Goals and how these can be applied to ground engineering;
- Able to demonstrate strong motivation and a passion for a career in Geoenvironmental/Contaminated land; and
- An interest in and application of digital skills, such as computer coding for design automation and problem-solving.
What we offer
There are a huge range of possibilities with Arup. You'll receive an insight into the opportunities that a challenging, fulfilling career at Arup provides, as well as:
- A competitive salary;
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world;
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment;
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills; and
- The support you need to develop your skills.
Does this role sound of interest to you? Please find further information below:
Shape your time with us
Our goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a great place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. We therefore welcome applications from diverse candidates. This includes people with disabilities so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
At Arup, you'll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. As a firm with an increasingly agile workforce, we're open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.
Stay safe online - Arup will never ask for payment or your bank details as part of our selection process.
Please note that we are unable to offer Skilled Worker Visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.