Graduate Energy Engineer - Buildings 2022
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, architects, consultants and technical specialists, working across every aspect of today's built environment. Together we help our clients solve their most complex challenges – turning exciting ideas into tangible reality as we strive to find a better way and shape a better world. As one of the world's leading building design consultancies, we offer clients the innovation and technical know-how to continually deliver their projects on schedule and on budget, without compromise.
Overview of the role
Our Energy Engineers apply their specialist skills to a range of different projects. We offer our clients a broad spectrum of expertise and consulting services in, but not limited to, the following types of developments: sports facilities, schools, universities, prisons, laboratories, airports, transport projects, large-scale industrial and manufacturing facilities, mixed-use commercial developments, city and large-scale campus master plans.
Are you interested in a career in Energy?
We are currently recruiting for a Graduate Energy Engineer to join our team of bright professionals in our London office. From your first day, you'll join a community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification. You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Within the specialist energy team, you could be asked to undertake work on many different aspects of the building design process. This could include energy strategies and master plans, concept and detailed energy centre and systems designs, building performance modelling for permitting and energy budgeting purposes, technology assessments, commercial modelling and options appraisals, and environmental modelling. Typical daily tasks could include:
- Preparing energy models and running simulations
- Undertaking energy strategies for campuses or heat networks
- Preparing schedules for equipment specifications
- Sizing of distribution systems
- Production of drawings
- Technical report writing
- Site visits
- Attendance and participation in stakeholder meetings
- Use of Revit and 3D modelling software in the production of designs
- Client, supplier and/or contractor liaison
What we are looking for
- Master's degree in Mechanical, Building Services, Architectural, Energy or Chemical Engineering at 2.1 or above
- Studying, or have studied, an EI, IMechE, IChemE, or CIBSE accredited course
- Preference for grade B or above in A-Level Maths, but not essential
- Strive for excellence, with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrate attention to detail, and be organised in your approach to meeting deadlines
- An understanding of government energy subsidies and incentives (RHIs, CfDs etc.) is an advantage, but not essential
- An interest in optimising building energy use, improving plant and system efficiencies, and reducing the use of fossil fuels
- Enthusiasm for a career in energy design, underpinned by an understanding of our sector and work
- A desire to assist our clients and the UK achieve net zero by 2050
- Have an analytical thought process and demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- Enjoy working as part of a close-knit team, whilst demonstrating the aptitude to work on your own initiative
- Seek to improve existing ways of working, by finding efficiencies in processes
- Ability to be flexible to the needs of the business and changes to project plans
You must be able to start this opportunity in September 2022.
What we offer you
Beyond a great salary and stimulating, technically challenging work, Arup offers a range of additional benefits to its people.
As a membership organisation, everyone shares in our success through a global profit share scheme. Our people also have access to a range of broader wellbeing benefits.
You'll have access to lots of learning opportunities including a structured induction and ongoing training through Arup university.
Additionally, you'll have the opportunity to utilise your technical expertise to improve the lives of the most vulnerable in the communities in which we live and work through Arup's community engagement programme.