Water - Graduate Civil Engineer 2021
At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
As Arup continues to focus on digital transformation, we seamlessly combine digital and data-related capabilities with Arup's traditional engineering and design strengths to help solve complex problems more efficiently and offer new ways of working in this digital age.
As one of the world's leading building and infrastructure design consultancies, we offer clients the innovation and technical know-how to continually deliver their projects on schedule, on budget and sustainably.
We help the world manage its water. The successful design, development and maintenance of our water infrastructure requires the integration of many disciplines. Arup's water team has wide-ranging skills spanning advisory and specialist technical services. We consider the commercial, economic, environmental and social implications of projects. Key areas we work in include:
- Resilience shift; our adaption to a changing climate
- Asset management
- Catchment science and management
- Dams and reservoirs engineering
- Flood and coastal risk management
- Integrated drainage network modelling – 1D, 2D and 3D City water modelling
- Natural flood management
- River and waterway engineering
- Water environmental management – making out waterways cleaner
- Sustainable drainage systems (SuDS) and green infrastructure
- Wastewater infrastructure and treatment
- Water resources management
- Water treatment and supply
We aim to offer a complete service, resulting in a team that collaborates with a broad range of other Arup services, and in partnership with clients. Our teams also work closely with many external bodies involved in the delivery of major projects.
Are you interested in a career in Water?
Right now, we're looking for Graduates to join our diverse team of bright professionals across several of our UK offices. From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of global experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and guided towards gaining professional accreditation.
You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
To do this you would be:
- Working with a diverse range of Arup colleagues in specialisms such as River and Coastal Engineering, Site Development, Sustainability and Environmental Planning
- Working with collaborators such as landscape architects, environmental specialists and planners
- Meeting with clients, local authorities, and other stakeholders – including site visits
- Specifying and interrogating survey information, hydraulic and coastal risk modelling for use in solution development
- Developing and appraising options and supporting the production of business cases
- Undertaking feasibility studies and preparing technical reports
- Creating digital solutions to manipulate, analyse and report on large and complex datasets
- Carrying out assessment, analysis and design. Preparing specifications.
- Using a wide range of specialist analysis and design software such as Flood Modeller, Tuflow, DHI packages, infoworks, microdrainage, GIS and AutoCAD
- Helping to win and manage commissions from clients
- Managing your own time and deadlines to meet project commitments
We're looking for Graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow, who have the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Ideally a Masters in Civil or Environmental Engineering (or equivalent) at 2:1 or above, although a BEng at 2:1 or above will also be considered
- Studying, or have studied, an ICE accredited course
- A good understanding of the theoretical approach and practical design calculations used for Water Engineering design
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Office and demonstrate an ability to learn new software within a working environment that utilises 3D design and digital automation
- Additional experience with coding languages, digital development, and use of specialist software would be an advantage
- Enthusiasm for a career in Water, underpinned by a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Have an analytical thought process
- Seek to improve existing ways of working, by finding efficiencies in processes
Arup offers extensive opportunities for your personal and career development and:
- A competitive salary and settling in allowance
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and highly competitive pension
- An interesting and varied workload
- The opportunity to work on international projects
- Technically challenging projects that will stretch and challenge your skills
- Opportunities to work abroad
- A supportive and friendly team, based in an excellent working environment
- Mentorship and support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
Does this role sound of interest to you?
Assessment centres will take place from December 2020, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
Please note that we are unable to offer Skilled Worker Visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.