Graduate Stress Engineer 2022
For 50 years, we've been driven by the firm belief that engineers are the architects of tomorrow's world, leading the way with their daring, their expertise and their ability to push boundaries.
Together with our customers, our 6,000 employees innovate on a daily basis and contribute to accelerating energy transition throughout the world. They support the world's greatest engineering projects in the fields of energy, digital and transport.
A fast-growing international Group, we are present in 13 countries (in Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Africa).
Assystem are a key engineering design delivery partner for the UK SMR (Small Modular Reactor) project.
Our expanding UK-wide team are innovating in engineering across a spectrum of digital, energy transition and Nuclear technologies such as fusion and modularisation alongside large-scale critical Infrastructure.
Join us and make your contribution towards the UK meeting our global net zero ambitions with multiple units planned to be supplying carbon free electricity within the next decade.
Assystem is the second largest Nuclear Engineering organisation and provides technical engineering support across the world, supporting complex Nuclear New Build, Decommissioning and Defence programmes.
It is a fantastic time to join the industry. Nuclear in the UK, is seeing a recent renaissance with the UK government pledging it’s support for both large and small-scale nuclear energy projects.
We are currently looking for a Graduate Stress Engineer to go through our rigorous 18-month operational placement. The successful person will work closely with your dedicated line manager, who will review and manage your technical performance & development throughout your assignment.
- Provide substantiation of components and systems using tools such as Finite Element Analysis and classical hand-calculations.
- Present findings internally to Assystem teams and externally to Clients requiring good communication and presentation skills.
- Offer solutions to issues as they arise, don’t only report problems for others to solve.
- Act independently and under instruction from the Assystem Lead Engineer.
- Comply with man-hour budgets for assigned tasks.
- Work in accordance with the Assystem quality system.
- Bring innovation to the calculations to improve quality, cost, and delivery.
- Assist in proposal writing and other related bidding activities when required.
What we are looking for
- Minimum 2:1 BEng qualification in Engineering (e.g., Aerospace, Civil, Automotive) or Physics.
- Excellent understanding of the STEM fundamentals (e.g., solid mechanics, fluids etc).
- Strong interest in the use of computer simulation software and digital calculations.
- A keen interest to get behind the graphical user interface and really understand what the software is doing.
- The ability to methodologically approach tasks and provide justification for the decisions made during the completion of the simulation.
- An ability to learn new analytical methods within a time-constrained project environment.
- A desire to learn and a keen mind.
What you’ll gain by joining us
- Access to the experience of our calculation specialists to learn from.
- High turnover of projects and customers for diverse experience. You won’t get bored in multi-year projects.
- Experience of working under pressure to deliver to cost, quality and timescales. You won’t be alone, but you will be responsible and expected to deliver (and ask for help when you can’t).
- Ability to move to different Assystem sites (and customer placements) if that is what you’d like to do.
At Assystem, everyone holds the reins for their own careers. Our role is to offer you the opportunities and resources you need to reach your full potential.
So why not join us and help shape the engineering landscape of the future?
We are committed to providing equal opportunities for every candidate and we celebrate all forms of diversity. At Assystem, only your skills matter!