Graduate IT Systems Engineer
We are looking to employ an ambitious graduate to grow into the Systems Engineer role within our IT Systems Team, providing IT services to our internal users. A relevant degree at 2:1 or higher is desirable, and any experience of working within a computing/IT environment will be looked on favourably. We would also consider applications from a candidate with an unrelated degree who can show a strong history of previous IT employment.
A willingness to learn on the job is essential, and part of the onboarding process for any new starter will be appropriate training courses to bring them up to speed as quickly as possible. Training will also be provided for any future projects, and we will work with the successful candidate to ensure that areas of interest beneficial to the company are supported and developed. Some of our best work has grown out of personal project work! We love to see our team members thrive and are always happy to discuss future development and potential career progression.
This is a unique role, involving the management of enterprise level infrastructure and service delivery to a research team highly dependent on cutting edge technology. Excellent time management, organisational skills, and a real interest in new trends in technology will be required. It is a truly exciting opportunity for someone looking to start or develop a career in IT and who wants to work for a pioneering company.
Your key responsibilities will be
- Setup and maintenance of company workstations, servers and networking infrastructure
- Management and maintenance of Windows and Linux servers
- Diagnose and troubleshoot technical hardware, software, and network issues via in-house ticketing system
Upcoming projects you may be involved with include:
- Help with ongoing Office 365 migration
- Remote support for ATASS staff currently working from home
- Business as Usual work on vSphere platform, backup software and security systems.
Our story began in 1998 when Mark Dixon, a university statistics lecturer, decided to set up a one-man-band consultancy, offering statistical modelling and research services. Featuring near the top of a Yellow Pages listing was a priority at the time and led to Mark opting for 'Advanced Training and Statistical Services,' or ATASS for short. Increasingly, his love of football led him to take on more and more sports-related work, and, by 2001, he and a handful of colleagues were working under the new identity of ATASS Sports.
Fast forward 20 years, and the company now boasts one of the largest commercial statistical research teams in Europe and is a leader in the field of the application of statistical modelling in sports. We have created and continue to develop a collection of statistical and mathematical models that allow sporting outcomes to be predicted with unparalleled accuracy.
About where we work
ATASS Sports is based in Oxygen House; our award-winning offices in Exeter where we have a range of on-site facilities that are available to everyone in the Oxygen House team. There’s an outdoor all-weather pitch for netball, football and tennis, an on-site gym offering regular fitness classes, a pool table, a table tennis table and a café serving delicious, local, and organic food. We’re constantly organising events and activities to support our charities and to socialise. Our work is serious but we’re all about having fun while we do it!
Essential experience and skills
- An IT-focussed degree at 2:1 or higher or another degree at 2:1 or higher with previous experience working within an IT department
- A strong interest in cutting-edge IT technologies
- A willingness to learn on the job and grow into a dedicated IT systems role
- Strong time management, team-working and social skills
Desirable experience and skills
- Experience of providing hardware and software support to Windows desktop and server OS
- Understanding of Microsoft products including Active Directory, Office 365 and Azure
- Experience with Linux or Mac OS X operating systems
- Understanding of virtualisation and associated technologies
- Understanding network technologies including DNS/DHCP/Switches/Firewalls/VLANs/VPNs