Submarines Systems Engineer Internship Barrow 2021
Work in a holistic, multi-disciplinary role, focusing on the bigger picture and bridging the gaps between disciplines. Throughout the different stages of a product lifecycle, you'll take the lead in systems integration and testing, qualification and acceptance. As well as the technical aspects of projects, you'll also learn to consider important factors such as schedules, costs, training and environmental concerns.
Follow your passion with the following responsibilities
Under technical supervision, provide Systems Engineering services to Product & Training Services projects, bids and improvement initiatives as directed by the Systems Engineering Discipline Lead.
This may include
- Supporting the development of strategies to ensure that systems are designed and integrated so that they fully satisfy the customer and business needs/requirements
- Capturing and analysing requirements in order to understand the customer/business needs and the context in which the system will be used
- Supporting the design and optimisation of system architectures and solutions using system modelling techniques
- Facilitating successful integration of systems and sub-systems
- Identifying and managing interfaces and dependencies
- Identifying and mitigating failure modes
- Determining the emergent properties of a system to support trade-offs, optimisation, risk reduction and testing
- Defining the verification and validation approach in order to achieve certification and acceptance of the system
- Supporting the identification of safety hazards and the assessment and mitigation of safety risk
- Providing systems engineering support to project and functional teams
- Conduct all activities in a professional manner delivering systems engineering tasks to agreed time, cost and quality to meet project milestones
- Drafting technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that information can be successfully communicated with recipients
- Maintain accurate records of all work in accordance with relevant extant procedures
- Liaise with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers as required
- Liaise with Supply Chain, Operations, Test & Commissioning, ILS and other internal functions as required.
- Continually develop your systems capabilities to ensure knowledge and skills keep pace with best practice
- Articulate and present arguments clearly, logically and simply
As a minimum requirement you`ll need to be on course for achieving a 2:2 in your Bachelor’s degree in a STEM subject.
What we have on offer for you!
Take your first steps in a career that challenges, rewards and evolves. At BAE Systems you’ll be working on exciting, world-leading engineering and business projects from day one. Our placements will prepare you with the skills you need to navigate challenges that bring others to a standstill. We will help you make the very most of your talents. We place great importance not only on what we do, but how and why we do it. We are passionate, collaborative, and take pride in work that helps our customers and communities. Working for BAE Systems, you’ll go home at the end of each day knowing what you do really makes a difference.
Security/ Export Control
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions.
These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Working with us
We are an inclusive employer. Recruiting, retaining and inspiring the best people from the widest pool is vitally important to us. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements you may need to support your application.