Air Software Engineer Placement Hillend 2021
Do you want to write software for the UK’s latest frontline fighter, augmented/virtual reality trainers for nuclear submarines or even 3D mission planning systems for Typhoon and Hawk jets? Interested in using machine learning on big data to maximise availability for aircraft, ships and land vehicles or developing web based solutions to keep airspace safe?
Integrating software into high fidelity cockpit or tank training systems, or developing Air Traffic Control simulations that allow student controllers to “talk down” jets and train for emergency situations? Or even produce software to optimise the timetables on the London Underground?
A BAE Systems Air Sector Software Engineering role based at Yeovil or Hillend could involve the design, building, testing and through-life support of all these products and much more besides.
Software forms an increasingly large and complex component in Air Sector Products and hence is a key implementation technology for the Air Sector business to fulfil the needs of its customers now and in the future.
What will you be doing
On an undergraduate placement an individual would be expected to be involved in a number of areas in order to develop a broad understanding of the Products and Services we are involved with; and the activities undertaken in the design and development of innovative software solutions. Tasks involved could include,
- Developing Customer and/or Product Requirements
- Analysing and Validating Requirements and managing change
- Identifying and managing key system properties and non-functional requirements
- Designing the Product or Product Component and Interfaces
- Implementing the Product Design
- Maintaining Configuration control of all Software Engineering artefacts
- Preparing for, performing and analysing Verification activities
- Performing and assessing Validation activities
- Generating evidence to support Certification activities, including Product Safety and Security
Note the IP role is only at Hillend however there may be opportunities to move between the Yeovil and Hillend sites as business need and undergraduate aspirations dictates.
What we are looking for
- Predicted 2:2 degree in any Computer Science degree or other STEM subject with software related modules
- Problem solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
- Passion and enthusiasm to develop as an individual.
- Effective communication skills, and the ability to work well in a diverse team.
- An ability to network and form effective relationships with customers, both internal and external