Data Consulting Summer Internship 2022
Here at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we are committed to helping governments, organisations and society navigate digital threats and opportunities. Whether it’s leveraging data to digitally transform operations or securing organisations and nations from cyber threats, we combine our unrivalled security and engineering heritage to help our clients navigate the data-reliant digital landscape.
As the cyber and intelligence arm of BAE Systems, we employ over 3,500 people across 15 countries in North America, APAC, Europe and the Middle East. With our distinguished heritage, we relish the opportunity to transform digital and data practices, defence, intelligence, security and society for government agencies, law enforcement, financial services, and critical infrastructure.
The Summer Internship programme aims to provide an environment that supports the acquisition of knowledge and experience from industry best practices and importantly, provide roles allowing the application of that understanding through practical experience in day-to-day roles.
You will be part of our Future Talent Community and be assigned a Career Manager, who will support and guide you throughout your career with us. All of this is designed to complement your career development, fuel your ambition, and give depth to your training and career.
Data Consultants develop a range of skills and experience related to the Data Scientist, Data Engineer and Data Analyst roles, supporting their professional development towards selecting one of those roles as their preferred career path while contributing to data projects in their own right.
Data Consultants typically operate in roles teamed with other data specialists, supporting the team and the client in a variety of projects which develop data capability, insights and solutions to realise business outcomes. The role is varied, involving participation in a variety of projects and roles in support of personal development and identification of career path aspirations.
As a Data Consultant, you might:
- Participate in client engagements to elicit and document their vision, aims and / or requirements for the development of data capability, insights or solutions.
- Undertake data analysis to reveal insights from datasets, either as an end in itself, or to inform other project tasks.
- Support the investigation and documentation of data assets in the client estate to inform decisions to change and improve the data landscape.
- Develop units within wider data solutions such as ETL pipelines.
- Prepare and present materials to communicate data insights, including creation of data visualisations.
Please note, as a Consultant, you may be required to work on client sites, which are away from your base location - this can be for an extended period of time. In this instance, all travel and expenses costs will be covered. If you have concerns about this; please speak to your recruitment contact.
- You will need to be studying towards a 2:2 or above
- Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK can be considered for a position within BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Due to the nature of our work, successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government Security Clearance, prior to starting with us.
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Articulate, both verbally and in writing
- Objective and logical with an enquiring and creative mind
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Resilience under pressure
- Desire to learn
- Competence in Microsoft Office packages/ IT literate
We expect great things of our Summer Interns. In return, you can expect a £19,500 annual salary (pro-rota) and 5.5 days of holiday and product & service discounts.
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.