Land Surveyor Graduate Programme UK 2024
Become part of the next generation of Graduates at Balfour Beatty!
Are you looking to start your career after your studies? Our Early Careers programme gives you the opportunity to challenge yourself and be part of the solution to make the world work better.
The Early Careers programme we offer has been carefully developed by the business so that you will become the best professional you can be. We want to bring out the best of your abilities whilst giving you a deep insight into the world of Infrastructure Engineering so then you can be the catalyst for change.
You'll learn. You'll gain skills. You'll explore our business and our sectors having real control over where you go and what you experience next. And you'll do it all as part of a busy community of Apprentices, Year in Industry students and Graduates.
Our application window for Graduates is open now until midnight on 11th December 2023.
What you can expect from the Early Careers Programme at Balfour Beatty
As a Graduate Land Surveyor, you will be supported throughout the Early Careers Programme. You will join a two year multi-touch point programme where the focus is all about Leading Self. This will set the foundations and provide essential skills for you to build the best version of yourself. The programme includes:
- Residential and online training
- Technical & personal skills
- Support towards professional development such as chartership
- Voluntary social value projects
- Experiential learning by doing
- A professional role within one of our respective business areas
- As a permanent employee of Balfour Beatty, you will be entitled to our full suite of benefits
As a Graduate Land Surveyor, you'll grow your technical and leadership skills and start your journey towards becoming an industry expert over two years. You'll enjoy wide exposure and gain increased responsibility. You'll work with experts across every area of our industry.
- Carrying out initial surveys
- Using surveying instruments and GPS to chart exact coordinates of site features
- Verification ,installation and maintenance of survey control networks to the highest order
- Point clouds and digital ground models from photogrammetry using UAV technology
- Data acquisition and analysis of LIDAR data from terrestrial, mobile and airborne platforms
- Gathering data and using geographic information systems (GIS) to analyse and interpret site features (geomatics)
- Monitoring land movement and subsidence caused during our construction process
- Drafting 2D and 3D charts and mapsusing computer aided design software and other cartographic techniques.
- Analysis and provision of digital data for machine control operations
These roles will be available in Manchester, Avonmouth & Derby.
What we expect from you
- A minimum of a 2:2 in a civil engineering or similar related degree
- Ideally previous work experience or placement in a similar environment
- Eligibility to work and live in the UK at the time of joining
- Ideally hold a full UK drivers licence at the time of joining
- A team focus with the ability to communicate and build strong relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
Our recruitment journey
To ensure you feel prepared and informed at each stage of our recruitment journey, we wanted to share with you our three key stages.
Stage one: getting to know you
We are curious as to how you think and respond in certain situations, your natural preferences, the way you navigate environments and how you interact with others.
To help us explore this, we will be asking you to complete a short questionnaire which looks at behaviours, preferences, and experiences in relation to different aspects of your working/professional life.
Stage two: One way video Interview
This next stage is a one-way video interview where you will be asked three questions virtually either via sound or in written form. Instead of responding to a person, we would like you to use your computer, mobile or tablets camera to record and submit your answers.
There is no preparation required for this part of the process and for assurance, all video interviews are reviewed by our amazing Early Careers recruitment team who are all humans.
Stage three: In-person or online interview
This is the final stage of our recruitment journey and is where we get to meet you in person, either in one of our offices, or online via Teams.
For us the most exciting part as we love hearing all about you. We also want to ensure you are getting the most out of your recruitment journey, so it's important you are curious and ask us questions too!
We are more than construction. Every day, our projects change the way the world looks and improve the way it works. And because we do more, you will too! So don't hesitate, our application window is open until midnight on 11th December 2023. If you think you can make a difference here at Balfour Beatty then apply today!
At Balfour Beatty we believe that diversity and inclusion are essential components of any successful, happy workplace. Through our Value Everyone D&I Strategy and Action Plan, we are growing our diverse workforce and developing our inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential. Our Smart Working policy enables employees to work flexibly where operationally possible and we would be happy to explore this with you.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with disabled people and people with long-term health conditions, to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.