Audit Apprentice 2021 - Financial Services Audit
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
The work of our Audit teams is essential, not just to BDO, but to the whole economy. Working within a range of companies, from start-ups to FTSE350 companies, in multiple sectors, they verify the accuracy of our clients’ financial statements for stakeholders, ensuring the stability and authenticity of the financial market. It’s not just analysing numbers though; Audit teams really get to know their clients. That means you’ll spend every day working as part of a team, often on clients’ premises, working with key individuals to understand their financial performance, business systems, culture and risks. The apprenticeship programme offers unparalleled exposure to a range of sectors and the potential for international secondment.
Our dedicated financial services group provides services to clients varying from large international financial institutions to AIM listed companies, new entrants and innovative challenger brands across the full spectrum of the financial services industry including:
- Banking and Alternative Finance
- Capital Markets
- Investment Management and Funds
We’ll help you succeed
The Audit Apprenticeship Programme is your opportunity to combine work experience with achieving your professional qualifications. We’ll provide the training in skills, behaviours and professional knowledge you’ll need not just to pass your exams, but also to become an exceptional BDO Advisor. Our pass results are often up to 10% above the national average. This is a unique opportunity to qualify in a working environment with a network of exceptional colleagues who will be invested in helping you achieve your full potential.
Programme & Qualification
BDO offer the globally recognised Association of Chartered Accountants (ACA) qualification as a Level 7 apprenticeship programme, enabling individuals to become qualified chartered accountants and member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). The ACA qualification and apprenticeship provides a broad range of accounting, finance and business skills. It opens a wealth of opportunities. The duration of this programme is 48 months.
Have the opportunity to witness the Financial Services boom right at the world’s financial hub London. You will have the front row seat in seeing how a variety of financial services businesses work across different locations, sizes, sectors and operational scales. You will have exposure to our international clientele and work with BDO offices across the world to learn about regulations and reporting standards across the world as well as working with a high number of AIM listed companies.
From the start of your trainee journey you will be at the heart of what we do – even as trainees, you will be expected to interact with the clients face-to-face and actively help to build relationship with key stakeholders.
Working in the Financial Services team involves travelling across different locations (whether for training or clients site) nationally and internationally.
In addition to attending college and working towards your professional qualifications, you will attend a number of technical training sessions internally and externally to ensure you have the necessary knowledge and skills, keeping up to date with ever changing regulations. Buddying up with more experienced colleagues will provide you with an extensive network of peers who will support you throughout college and day-to-day work.
In your second year, you will also have the opportunity to pass on your experience and knowledge to the new joiners and help to build and strengthen your personal and professional relationships.
The Financial Services team actively engages with CSR activities, BDO sports teams, and a number of internal networks such the U-Crew (Unifying Culture team), Black, Asian and Minority ethnic groups Society, LGBT Network BLEND and many more.
- Be an important part of the audit team by obtaining audit evidence necessary to support opinions given
- Prepare analysis of accounting data from clients’ books and records
- Ensure audit files have all relevant documentation on the appropriate section; check appropriate and sufficient documentation obtained to support the opinion and documenting all conclusions
- Active engagement with client staff in the gathering of appropriate audit evidence
- Active adherence to budget and timetable, bringing matters to the attention of the senior or manager, particularly when actual time is in excess of budget
- Involvement in the planning, execution and finalisation of the audit assignment supporting the Audit Senior or Manager
- Ensure compliance with internal (audit methodology and risk management) and external (regulatory) requirements
- Identify and understand client needs, including sometimes providing initial solutions to client challenges, then communicating these needs and solutions to the Audit Senior or Manager
- Build strong relationships with new and established clients
- Carry out ad hoc assignments as may be reasonably required by your group
- Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by your group
- Coaching and assisting more junior trainees on the team, both at client premises and in the office
- Participate in group, stream and firm wide activities
- Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
When you join us
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you’re right for us, you’ll thrive in an environment built to help you succeed.
We’re looking for someone with:
- Three A-levels or equivalent at A* to C excluding General Studies and Extended Projects (obtained or predicted).
- A* to C in Maths and English at GCSE/Scottish Standards or equivalent (non-UK qualifications also considered).
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well as offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following benefits, as standard:
- 25 days’ holiday;
- access to a personal pension scheme, with matched employer contributions;
- life assurance cover;
- and income protection insurance.