Data and Analytics Placement (BMW UK, Financial Services) Farnborough July 2024
We believe in creating an environment where you, our placement student, can learn and develop during your time with us and where you are given your own areas of responsibilities from the start. Our experts and mentors will treat you as part of the team from day one; encouraging you to bring your own ideas to the table and to give you the opportunity to show what you can really do.
Our Summit ONE in Farnborough is home to the National Sales Company for the BMW Group in the UK, as well as BMW Group Financial Services which offers retailers, corporate and private customers a range of customised financial services. Alphabet (GB) Ltd. as a leading provider of Business Mobility Services is also located in Farnborough. We decided in November 2020 to bring together BMW Financial Services and Alphabet to stay relevant to our customers and continue to succeed in a rapidly changing business environment.
Within our self-contained campus, we offer a modern way of working with an empowering office culture, some aspects of which include:
- Our work persona shift – being yourself is effortless and so increases efficiency. For this reason we allow our employees to express themselves through the way they dress.
- Flexible working hours - working flexibly improves mental perspective and increases sustained productivity. This means our leaders maintain balance, not burnout, through focusing on output, not attendance.
- The opportunity to get involved with our continued support to our house charity with a variety of fundraising events throughout the year.
- Throughout our offices there are open creative spaces which hold facilities such as table-tennis tables to encourage innovation and employee engagement.
Data and Analytics Placement
Data is changing the world, and the BMW Group is no different.
It takes a tech-savvy team of restless minds to leverage the opportunities that data and digitalisation bring in the area of automotive financing. People who are fuelled by a passion for problem solving and rapid action. So if you’re looking to pursue exciting opportunities in an agile business that adapts to new technologies faster than the traditional finance sector does, why not drive the future of financial services with us?
The BMW Group is currently looking for an intern to join us within our Data & Analytics department, someone who is passionate about data, and wants to be involved in transforming data into business-critical information and driving the future direction of our business.
Our Data & Analytics team is responsible for ensuring the integrity of data as a core asset to the business, and for delivering data insights to the business so that they can use data to effectively drive business and customer decisions and shape future business strategy. We are involved in all aspects of the data journey, from data analysis, data engineering, data science and data visualisations. We also provide data insights to external partners such as large corporate customers and retailer groups.
We collaborate closely with the business to understand their business processes and to analyse how the underlying data relates these processes. We help the business to shape their requirements for analytical reporting, data visualisations or management KPI’s, and implement these using a variety of technologies including SAP Business Objects, AWS CDH, Tableau and Qlik Sense. We train the business on these technologies to promote a self-service approach to analytics.
What awaits you?
- Get involved with projects to advance our analytics capabilities, for example developing new statistical models and the associated coding in Python
- Build business relationships and assist in collating business requirements for advanced analytics
- Develop understanding of the fundamentals of data governance and help to implement our data strategy to transform the way that our business uses data
- Learn to use a wide range of reporting and data analysis tools
- Learn software development fundamentals and enhance SQL & Python knowledge
- Studying for a Bachelor's degree and on track to achieve a 2:2 or above in computer science, mathematics or a combined / related degree.
- Experience or demonstrable interest in data manipulation, data science, data analytics, Python would be advantageous.
- Basic knowledge of Excel, SQL & Python an advantage.
- Must have strong A Levels grades in numerical subjects.
- Ability to work on own initiative (with support/mentoring as required).
- Individual must be outgoing and confident with a professional approach.
Why choose us?
- Great Pay - A competitive annual salary of £21,600, 26 days holiday per annum (pro rata to your contract), and an attractive pension scheme.
- Rewarding Work-Life Balance - Our team works 2-3 days a week in the office and flexible hours over 5 days to help you develop a fulfilling work-life balance
- Exciting Additional Benefits - You will have the opportunity to enjoy other employee benefits including access to our Advantages scheme, giving you access to a range of offers and discounts and a subsidised on-site restaurant.
What are we responsible for?
- Supporting you in your training and ensuring you settle into your role and feel welcomed.
- Working sustainably and ethically.
- Providing you with the opportunity to bring your own ideas and develop yourself.
- Ensuring you are happy with your work-life balance and feel as though your contribution to the business is being valued.
- Encouraging you to develop your soft skills such as creating working relationships, communicating effectively, delivering presentations, and gaining confidence in your own ability, supporting you in both your return to university and your future career.
What do you need to do now?
If this sounds like the opportunity for you then apply today using the link below.
The next stages of the recruiting process could include; online testing, a one-way video interview, and then a face to face, telephone, or virtual interview with the hiring manager.
We operate rolling recruitment. This means we may close the application window earlier than identified if sufficient applications are received, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Please ensure that you complete all of the free text questions for your application to be progressed. Please also include a role relevant cover letter, explaining why we should consider you for this position.
To be eligible for this position, you must be returning to your studies for a minimum of 6 months after completion of this placement and be able to provide proof of your legal right to work in the UK if you are not a UK passport holder.
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Any further questions? Email us on FutureTalentRecruitment@bmwgroup.com