Liquid Development Industrial Placement 2021
British American Tobacco is a global business going through a hugely dynamic period in our 100+ year history. With consumers seeking more choice with expectations above traditional cigarettes, now is an exciting time to have a real say in what we do - A chance to feel the international impact of your work and the responsibility to own what really matter to our consumers. All sides of the business is fully thriving, from our traditional tobacco roots, which we have proudly grown into a market-leading enterprise, to our business in developing brand-new products that promote choice, where innovation thrives. What’s best about our evolution is that science is at the heart of all of it. Our global R&D teams uncover the facts and drive us forward using the most cutting-edge technologies. We have over 200 different scientific methods – from analytical chemistry and toxicological profiling to future casting and battery design. Why work here? Because we’re not just any FMCG company: we’re industry leaders, game changers, world shapers.
About the Placement Scheme
In the UK, we offer 12-months placement - starting 1st of September 2021 - opportunities to undergraduate students looking to gain practical experience within a vibrant and innovative industrial setting. As part of the scheme, you will be partnered with a mentor, have regular reviews with your Line Manager and work on projects that impact the business.
Training and development is provided throughout the placement with successful applicants having multiple opportunities to develop transferable skills in addition to gaining ‘hands on’ experience in a technical discipline.
As part of the scheme students get a chance to cultivate their independent thinking and problem solving skills in addition to working in and contributing to a team. Cross functional/department working and participation in other research activities is also encouraged, where appropriate. Previous work experience in a practical ‘hands-on’ role would be useful but not essential.
Purpose of this role is to support the development of vapour innovations focussing on innovation of e-liquid formulations and product science related to e-liquids and vaping products.
- Review of existing data and engage with key stakeholders in R&D (product development, analytical development center, consumer product safety, sensory and consumer insights) to generate and deliver learning plans
- E-liquid design and prototyping with guidance from Product Developers
- prototype characterisation using best practices and applied chemistry
- collaborate with analytical subject matter experts and product developers to establish methods for prototype characterisation where needed
- collaborate with consumer insights managers to generate product performance learnings on new prototypes
- Work with external analytical suppliers to establish accurate methods of assessing product performance over time through collaboration and knowledge of anaytical or applied chemistry
- Professional/academic achievement in chemistry or other relevant subject area up to 1st degree level or equivalent.
- Relevant expertise in chemistry and physics to support e-liquid science & development projects.
- Problem-solving skills, analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Must be methodical; have excellent and accurate record keeping skills
- Good at problem solving and have investigatory, scientific curious skills.
- Understanding of relevance and importance how role contributes to the innovation and product development pipeline
- Basic awareness of next generation products in the market and changing consumer trends.
- Proficient in general laboratory tasks and procedures, such as solution preparation, handling chemicals and hazardous materials.
- Full awareness of laboratory safety procedures.
- Salary of £18,200 per annum
- Subsidised gym membership (£15 per month)
- Subsidised lunches
- 25 days annual leave
- Free on-site parking
- Participation in the Discretionary Company Bonus Scheme
- Participation in the Company Share Reward Scheme
- Participation in the Company Pension Scheme
- Private Healthcare Cover
- Eligibility for Company Flexible Benefits Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme