Mechanical Engineer Industrial Placement 2021
British American Tobacco is a global business going through a hugely dynamic period in our 100+ year history. With consumers seeking more choice with expectations above traditional cigarettes, now is an exciting time to have a real say in what we do - A chance to feel the international impact of your work and the responsibility to own what really matter to our consumers. All sides of the business is fully thriving, from our traditional tobacco roots, which we have proudly grown into a market-leading enterprise, to our business in developing brand-new products that promote choice, where innovation thrives. What’s best about our evolution is that science is at the heart of all of it. Our global R&D teams uncover the facts and drive us forward using the most cutting-edge technologies. We have over 200 different scientific methods – from analytical chemistry and toxicological profiling to future casting and battery design. Why work here? Because we’re not just any FMCG company: we’re industry leaders, game changers, world shapers.
About the Placement Scheme
In the UK, we offer 12-months placement - starting 1st of September 2021 - opportunities to undergraduate students looking to gain practical experience within a vibrant and innovative industrial setting. As part of the scheme, you will be partnered with a mentor, have regular reviews with your Line Manager and work on projects that impact the business.
Training and development is provided throughout the placement with successful applicants having multiple opportunities to develop transferable skills in addition to gaining ‘hands on’ experience in a technical discipline.
As part of the scheme students get a chance to cultivate their independent thinking and problem solving skills in addition to working in and contributing to a team. Cross functional/department working and participation in other research activities is also encouraged, where appropriate. Previous work experience in a practical ‘hands-on’ role would be useful but not essential.
To support the development and deployment of tobacco heating products and assist in the identification, investigation and validation of novel technologies.
Previous students working within the Hybrid team have proved to be an extremely important member of the team, tasked with undertaking critical and complex investigations necessary to support our Product Development Plans.
As such this placement would offer the student a development experience, not only in the new product development cycle, but also exposure to human-centered design of new product innovations and first-hand experience of consumer interactions through various consumer-led design techniques.
The specific nature of the student’s project would need to be defined nearer to the start date due to rapidly the developing nature of this category, however, examples of potential areas of focus are:
- Investigation of electrically powered heaters for potential use in Tobacco Heating Products (THP) and Vapor Products.
- Investigation of the potential to adapt the design so that it could provide additional functionality (smart features) such as displays etc.
- Required Undergraduate/Graduate Degree course (e.g. Mechanical Engineering, Product Design)
- Good investigative mind, capable of investigating complex issues, defining and creating design solutions.
- Good report writing skills.
Key skills required
- Investigate device issues, identifying potential causes and conduct root cause analysis studies to guide solutions. Present and report recommendations to senior project stake holders and coordinate implementation of agreed solutions.
- Potential to use design skills to create engineering solutions for device specific issues. Coordinate resources to manufacture prototypes and test concepts.
- Develop, validate and execute test plans to ensure quality criteria is met as per specifications.
- Generate invention disclosure materials to ensure novel solutions are IP protected
- Work across different functions both internally and externally, to develop technology or product prototypes to assess new innovations.
- ‘Hands-on’ development and execution of experimental plans to evaluate potential new technologies and answer key questions around novel technologies
- Gain experience in a highly technical innovation led environment for the benefit of themselves and BAT.
- Preparing reports and updates to the team and other key stakeholders.
- To understand the basic performance aspects from each of the function Mechanical, Aerosol, Durability, Safety and Compliance
- Understanding of the full product development cycle and validation process at BAT
- Importance of networking and understanding that several solutions may need to be tested before the correct solution is found.
- Exposure to working in a fast-paced environment.
- Understanding of design & testing electronic products.
- Communication and management skills.
- Salary of £18,200 per annum
- Subsidised gym membership (£15 per month)
- Subsidised lunches
- 25 days annual leave
- Free on-site parking
- Participation in the Discretionary Company Bonus Scheme
- Participation in the Company Share Reward Scheme
- Participation in the Company Pension Scheme
- Private Healthcare Cover
- Eligibility for Company Flexible Benefits Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme