New Categories Industrial Placement 2021
British American Tobacco is a global business going through a hugely dynamic period in our 100+ year history. With consumers seeking more choice with expectations above traditional cigarettes, now is an exciting time to have a real say in what we do - A chance to feel the international impact of your work and the responsibility to own what really matter to our consumers. All sides of the business is fully thriving, from our traditional tobacco roots, which we have proudly grown into a market-leading enterprise, to our business in developing brand-new products that promote choice, where innovation thrives. What’s best about our evolution is that science is at the heart of all of it. Our global R&D teams uncover the facts and drive us forward using the most cutting-edge technologies. We have over 200 different scientific methods – from analytical chemistry and toxicological profiling to future casting and battery design. Why work here? Because we’re not just any FMCG company: we’re industry leaders, game changers, world shapers.
About the Placement Scheme
In the UK, we offer 12-months placement - starting 1st of September 2021 - opportunities to undergraduate students looking to gain practical experience within a vibrant and innovative industrial setting. As part of the scheme, you will be partnered with a mentor, have regular reviews with your Line Manager and work on projects that impact the business.
Training and development is provided throughout the placement with successful applicants having multiple opportunities to develop transferable skills in addition to gaining ‘hands on’ experience in a technical discipline.
As part of the scheme students get a chance to cultivate their independent thinking and problem solving skills in addition to working in and contributing to a team. Cross functional/department working and participation in other research activities is also encouraged, where appropriate. Previous work experience in a practical ‘hands-on’ role would be useful but not essential.
The responsibility of this role is to support the THP (Tobacco Heated Products) Discovery Team in product development of novel THP materials, technologies and systems.
Specific Work Aims
- A portfolio of work and activity that will cover at least 1 solely owned project in which they will be responsible and accountable for against a set of given deliverables. This will drive project management skills and working to deadlines and budgets
- Supporting activities in both lab and office based situations to support the wider team in delivering team goals and objectives. This will enhance communication skills both written and verbal
- Presentations and communication to various audiences. This will develop and enhance presentation skills and confidence and understanding relevant audience needs
- Integration into the team as a full member of the team to gain business acumen and feel for workplace working
- and appreciation of rapidly changing business environments
- Formulation development work in specialised lab environments
- Device engineering and electronics development
- Product development and design for both Consumables and devices
- Consumer insights activity, behaviour analysis and consumer study analysis to drive product designs
- Carrying out experiments to optimise how to heat materials for use in future tobacco heating products
- Scouting for front end innovation technologies appropriate for use in tobacco heating products
- Testing prototypes with sensory panellists or consumers
- Test method development for novel products
- Working in collaboration with internal stakeholders and external suppliers / experts
- Presenting findings to wider teams
- Making recommendations to the Project Team based on results
- Required Undergraduate Degree course: Degrees relating to the following fields: Physics, Sociology / Human Behaviour, Electronics, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Engineering, Product design, Sustainability, Artificial Intelligence.
- An understanding of R&D in a fast-moving consumer goods company
- An understanding of how new materials / products are developed and optimised.
- An understanding of how success criteria are established for a new material / product and how development work needs to aim for this
- An understanding of project management within R&D and how to achieve project goals
- Opportunities to take ownership of project workstreams, and take responsibility for deliverables
- Exposure to different areas of the business
- Understanding the importance of stewardship and robust research and reporting
- Understanding that technical roles in R&D can involve a lot of creativity
- Salary of £18,200 per annum
- Subsidised gym membership (£15 per month)
- Subsidised lunches
- 25 days annual leave
- Free on-site parking
- Participation in the Discretionary Company Bonus Scheme
- Participation in the Company Share Reward Scheme
- Participation in the Company Pension Scheme
- Private Healthcare Cover
- Eligibility for Company Flexible Benefits Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme