Team Assistant/Legal Administrator (Business and Professional Services) Manchester 2023
At Browne Jacobson, we’ve always worked across business and society, and this expertise sets us apart. Social and environmental impact are at the top of our business agenda. We champion fairness, make the complex simple and forge connections between clients to find creative solutions. This is how we improve outcomes for every person, community and business we serve.
With offices in Birmingham, Dublin, Exeter, London, Manchester and Nottingham, we’re a UK & I based law firm with an international reach. Our sectors include: health; real estate and construction; education; energy and infrastructure; financial services; government; insurance; manufacturing and industrials; and retail, consumer and logistics.
We nurture talent at all levels and from every background and celebrate what makes people individuals. Law needs all voices to reflect the society it serves and we’re working towards social mobility, diversity and inclusion in our firm - and our profession. We strive to create meaningful personal and professional development opportunities and offer flexible working in support of a good work-life balance. We focus on wellbeing and individuality, so that all our people can thrive.
What is the working practice for this role?
The firm operates a set of core principles that guides our working practice. It’s called ‘One Firm, Wherever You Are’.
You might have enjoyed working from home and would like to split your time between there and the office/ other work locations. Others may be eager to return to the office on a more regular basis. We believe that a regular level of in-person contact is an important way to build connections with your colleagues, enhancing knowledge and idea sharing and enabling all of us to benefit from the vibrant office culture Browne Jacobson has to offer.
Our expectation is that, on average, you’ll work from home for no more than three days per week, with the remainder of your time either spent with your colleagues in the office or working from other locations as work demands dictate, e.g. courts, client offices, conferences etc. This is an average expectation over time and we know that there will be variations from week to week.
Equally, there will be individual circumstances in which a different pattern of work is needed, for example as an agreed reasonable adjustment for colleagues with a disability or long-term medical condition. We believe this approach:
- fits with our values and personality;
- will enhance our performance through greater flexibility;
- advances our ambitions as an inclusive employer – helping you better balance work and family/life commitments;
- offers opportunities to reduce our carbon footprint (travel, office services etc.), a key ambition underpinning our corporate sustainability plan.
Why is this role important and how does it fit into the team, department and wider firm?
The role provides administrative and file management support across the team. Work will come either directly from the fee earner or through the work allocated by the Practice Assistants.
The role is accountable for establishing and maintaining an ongoing service-based relationship with the team they support recognising and translating the needs and expectations into a responsive service.
What does the role actually involve?
- Liaise with PA to provide support to Client & Marketing for scheduling tender meetings, directory interviews, client training etc
- Liaise with PA to enter, maintain and update Interaction - adding new prospects, clients and contacts, activities and business development information
- Responsible for ensuring current knowledge of client specific protocols and processes, and building these into current practices
- File management – updating and maintaining all files, ensuring documents are filed correctly and named in line with the business wide naming convention and the correct folder structures are adopted (both electronic and paper)
- File opening and closing – matters are set up on the relevant document/case management system. Undertake all file closing/ archiving procedures ensuring we are compliant at all times
- Assisting the PA as directed in the organisation of internal and external events, seminars and conferences, (vulture) responsible for arranging registers delegates; booking travel; printing/sending materials; arranges give-aways
- Responsible for ordering all promotional goods and ensuring stock levels
- Make room and taxi bookings as requested, organising hand deliveries and courier requests, and other ad hoc requests
- Printing/ copying/ scanning of documents flowing to document solutions for support with high volume jobs, as appropriate
- Liaising with fellow team member on workloads and ensure deadlines are consistently met
- Answering internal calls for other members of the team
- Liaison with and taking direction from your PA and PSM
- Assisting the PA with billing as required
- Assisting with expenses
- Responsible for managing priorities and workloads to ensure deadlines are met. Liaising with PA and PSM where challenges arise
- Responsible for creating and uploading information to client data rooms, in line with instructions from Lawyer and PA
- Production of court bundles, ensuring the master bundle is correctly prepared in line with Lawyer instructions and court rules and instructions provided to document solutions to complete printing/copying of master bundles; suitable delivery methods pre-booked as needed
- Checking client and internal data for accuracy
- Ensuring compliance with firm wide/department policies and procedures including Lexcel and Information Security
- Responsible for checking post and/or emails and dealing with as appropriate ensuring all client related correspondence is appropriately filed in firms document management systems
- Attending team meetings
- Liaising with fee earners and practice assistants to take instruction and liaise on work requirements
- Consistently and appropriately update service users on progress where appropriate
- Regularly offer assistance wherever possible
What technical skills are required for someone to be successful and enjoy the role?
- Relevant office-based administration experience
- Experience of document management/case management systems
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office
Who would be a good fit for this role?
As part of the Legal Support team, you would be expected to have the following skills and experience:
- An effective communicator with the ability to liaise with internal and external clients in a professional manner; striving to provide exceptional service at all times
- Good organisational skills and ability to manage own time effectively within a fast-paced environment
- Conscientious, taking personal responsibility for own work and accountability for its delivery and quality
- Positive can-do attitude with the ability to adapt to change
- Excellent attention to detail
- Customer service focused
- Proactive, professional, and flexible approach to work
- Keen to develop over a period of time with a willingness and ability to learn