Graduate Fire Engineer 2021
Every building presents unique fire safety challenges. To fully address life safety and design aspirations, your scheme needs a unique, holistic, creative approach to developing a simple, yet robust, fire safety solution. Our involvement on projects spans from concept to completion, and further, to occupation and continued operational management. Our clients find this level of continued engagement reassuring as we guide them through the life cycle of the building.
For multiple building portfolio clients such as The National Museums of Scotland and University College London, we provide a complete consultancy service. This includes assessing the capabilities of their existing assets, developing solutions for refurbishment projects and advise on the design of new buildings whilst interfacing with multiple design teams and helping the client with their ongoing building management. We listen and consult to fully understand the design aspirations for a development, and we facilitate these through imaginative and innovative fire engineering techniques, often working beyond the boundaries of prescriptive code guidance.
What sort of projects would I work on?
Louvre, Abu Dhabi - Our pioneering work has enabled the display galleries to remain ‘un-sprinklered’, enabling the vision of the client in retaining the aesthetic purity, but requiring extensive risk analysis and negotiations with the approval authorities.
Battersea Power Station – Repurposing this historic landmark in to a 21st Century destination where people work, rest and play has required us to take a highly creative approach to the brief and developing bespoke designs that deliver added value to our client, and an iconic facility for the city.
Edward Street Quarter, Brighton - The scheme to deliver a residential mixed-use development on the former Amex House, Brighton will provide new homes, retail space, office accommodation and public spaces, as well as offering employment opportunities for the local community.
What would I do?
- Develop expertise in delivering fire safety engineering solutions in a multi-disciplinary environment with solid experience in developing fire strategies, undertaking engineering analysis and applying performance based designs.
- Work with other members of the team to understand and apply fire safety legislation and design guidance in the UK and internationally as part of global project delivery.
- Carry out and review fire engineering calculations including smoke modelling and evacuation analysis from simple hand calculations to complex 3D computational modelling
- Build knowledge to be able to identify appropriate fixed fire protection systems, i.e. automatic fire detection and/or suppression to support fire engineering design solutions.
- Communicate and present technical solutions to a variety of clients and stakeholders.
- Ensure team members are kept informed of important and relevant service/design decisions.
- Liaise with approval authorities on fire safety designs.
- Demonstrate excellent consultancy skills; Good communication and experience in dealing with difficult situations, negotiation and understanding the differing needs of our clients and within stakeholder groups.
- Visit sites to see how our fire strategies are implemented.
- For our specialist Fire discipline, you need a Masters in Fire Engineering.
- Bachelor’s degrees in Civil or Mechanical Engineering, as they offer relevant foundation knowledge.
What you can expect from us
A plethora of interesting and challenging projects to stretch your professional skills, a friendly and close knit team, flexible working and a competitive reward package. The opportunity to work on multidisciplinary projects aside a range of specialist engineers and designers both within BuroHappold and our collaborators.
We have recently adopted a new framework focussed on early careers development. This allows our Graduates to learn the fundamentals of design and technology whilst building a base in consulting and professional skills. This is a blended learning programme where participants gain experience against our internal professional and technical frameworks in relation to their specialism.
In addition, we see membership of a professional body and professional registration as crucial to the development of our engineers and offer substantial support to those aspiring to achieve this. We aim to support employees to achieve the highest level of membership and registration their academic background allows.