Graduate Lighting Designer 2024
From helping shape entire cities to adapting infrastructure to deal with the climate emergency, a career at Buro Happold presents the chance to make a difference. With a world class reputation, our creativity and our people have delivered positive change to clients, the environment, and communities alike. If you want to be part of something bigger, this is your chance.
What is the Graduate opportunity?
Due to the ongoing growth of our portfolio of outstanding projects, our team has an opportunity for expanding and we would like to offer the opportunity to a Graduate Lighting Designer to join the London studio. Working with Lighting professionals from a variety of backgrounds, you will be in a great environment to advance your skills and career within our friendly, close-knit team. We pride ourselves on pushing the boundaries and approaching each project as an opportunity to raise further awareness of the importance of daylight and artificial lighting for humans and the environment with notable links to user well-being, visitor experience, spatial perception and the feeling of security.
In balancing between artistic and technical requirements, our team of specialists have the knowledge and credibility to offer a unique set of capabilities that will benefit the overall design. Ongoing projects in 2021 include mixed use commercial developments, cultural & civic buildings, public spaces, sporting venues and Cities iconic infrastructure, offering a rich diversity of projects to be a great part of.
Our thinking is shaped by imagination and powerful design aspirations.
We work collaboratively towards our common goal to reinvent the built environment.
We pave the way towards delivering spaces with identity and with sustainable, liveable values at their core.
Day to day, we work closely with architects and end user clients and working as part of our Lighting team you would have the opportunity to get involved in the work we do in helping clients to interpret their creative aspirations and realise the potential of their developments.
What sort of projects would I work on?
Recent projects are broad in range, and include;
- The English National Ballet
- New Danube Bridge
- Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
- The Louvre Abu Dhabi
What would I do?
- Environmental Impact Assessment work to meet planning requirements considering light spill analysis and overshadowing.
- Sunlight & daylight analysis and design for architects and developers.
- Lighting strategies & master-planning for public realm and cities
- Exterior and interior artificial lighting design from Concept to project Practical Completion (PC)
- Concept visualisation & 3D light modelling.
- Scheme design development, including lighting equipment selection and budget checks.
- Detailed lighting design, including architectural integration and BIM coordination
- Lighting controls design and specification.
- Luminaire performance specification and bespoke design (mock-ups).
- Site monitoring and commissioning, including programming of control systems and focusing of luminaires.
- Bachelor or Master's Degree in Architecture, Lighting, Electrical Engineering or Architectural Engineering or similar.
- Coursework in lighting or building systems design.
- Interest in the lighting industry with an emphasis on daylighting or architectural lighting design.
- Internship or previous experience at architectural or engineering related firm preferable.
- Proven interest in the built environment.
- Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas with sketches and diagrams in an accessible manner.
- Eagerness to learn and work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
What's in it for you?
- Broad insight within a team, mentored by a subject matter expert. The opportunity to experience our culture and value, and learn what sets us apart from other organisations. Exposure to a wide range of portfolios, including local community led projects and global large scale clients. The diversity of the projects we work on is one of the many reasons Engineers love to work at Buro Happold.
- A plethora of interesting and challenging projects to stretch your professional skills, a friendly and close knit team, flexible working and a competitive reward package. The opportunity to work on multidisciplinary projects aside a range of specialist engineers and designers both within Buro Happold and our collaborators.
- Opportunity to be supported (or even join) our Young Employee's Forum in your local office, join bi-annual events/trips, and contribute your experience and learnings to the next generation of engineers through various outreach activities.
- Our Graduate Connect program allows our Graduates to learn the fundamentals of design and technology whilst building a base in consulting and professional skills. This is a blended learning programme where participants gain experience against our internal professional and technical frameworks in relation to their specialism.
- We see membership of a professional body and professional registration as crucial to the development of our engineers and offer substantial support to those aspiring to achieve this. We aim to support employees to achieve the highest level of membership and registration their academic background allows.
How long does the process take?
The recruitment timeline can vary depending on the role and team you are applying to. Successful applications are progressed to interview stage within 2-3 months from the closing date of the advert, but it is good to know that the whole process can take up to 6 months. We will endeavour to keep you informed throughout the time that your application is being considered, however, due to the volume of applications received and the size of our team, we are not able to respond to individual requests for status updates.
Interested? Intrigued? Inspired?
This role is for current students or recent graduates for an Autumn 2024 start.
Be you at Buro Happold
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals. We actively promote inclusivity to enable every individual to reach their full potential, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We are working to change the lack of representation of minority groups in the built environment, and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.