Graduate Public Health Engineer 2021
Why shouldn’t your project use high performance, low energy building systems? We at Buro Happold work as part of a global team, balance client’s aspirations with engineering (and often budgetary) constraints, to design high performance, low energy building systems. We use advanced modelling techniques to analyse the building envelope and its floor layouts. Our innovatively designed systems are then integrated into the building fabric, to create functional internal spaces and balanced, controllable conditions.
Water is a finite, precious resource and the pressures associated with water scarcity are becoming increasingly focused across the globe. The impact of climate change and increasing urbanisation brought on by population growth, has meant that effective Water used and recycling is a high priority on all of our projects.
What sort of projects would I work on?
Harvard University Tozzer Anthropology building, USA - The work to renovate and expand the capacity in the Tozzer building provides an additional 29% of usable space, including two new floors located in the upper levels of the building. Now LEED Gold certified, our work has reduced energy consumption by 30%, delivering an outstanding space for learning with a sustainable future.
Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, UK – Our pioneering retractable pitch design ensures the new White Hart Lane Stadium is a highly flexible sports and entertainment venue. This project is the perfect example of Buro Happold’s ability to think laterally to find solutions that work for our client. Not only does the new Tottenham Hotspur FC stadium offer fans a better experience and increase profitability for our client, the design has proved so inspiring it has catalysed a wider regeneration scheme across Haringey so that the surrounding area can better support this incredible venue.
Fry Building, University of Bristol, UK - Reinvigorated and decluttered, the Fry Building is now a truly spectacular space for learning. By approaching this historic piece of estate as an asset to be respectfully brought into the 21st century, Buro Happold helped to deliver a facility that will enhance the maths department’s standing while reinforcing the University’s cultural and educational ideals. Improving accessibility and devising an MEP strategy congruent with a heritage site were were key Buro Happold responsibilities.
Plus pharmaceutical, cultural and civic buildings, high-spec' retail, transport hubs and mixed-use schemes.
What would I do?
- You will embrace the latest technologies to improve performance and sustainability. Sustainable design is top of our corporate agenda.
- You will be trained to undertake detailed public health design engineering and building services design and calculations (using both software and knowledge to verify robust calculations).
- Undertake detailed engineering design for piped water supply, above and below ground drainage including preparation of layouts, schematics and details.
- Undertake engineering design for fire protection services including preparation of sprinkler layouts, schematics and details.
- Develop skills in visual coding, scripting, Revit, AutoCAD and other engineering software.
- Ensuring service and project work are carried out to an excellent standard - within agreed deadlines and within budget.
- Preparation of technical specifications and schedules, design development reports and innovative design solutions.
- Plan and manage the input of geometry and data into Revit models
- Represent Buro Happold at meetings with clients, other professionals and suppliers.
What degree would I have studied?
- Bachelor or Master's degree in Building Services or Mechanical Engineering.
- Internship experience at engineering related firm preferred, and proven interest in the built environment.
What you can expect from us
Broad insight within a team, mentored by a subject matter expert. The opportunity to experience our culture and value, and learn what sets us apart from other organisations. Exposure to a wide range of portfolios, including local community led projects and global large scale clients. The diversity of the projects we work on is one of the many reasons Engineers love to work at Buro Happold.
A plethora of interesting and challenging projects to stretch your professional skills, a friendly and close knit team, flexible working and a competitive reward package. The opportunity to work on multidisciplinary projects aside a range of specialist engineers and designers both within Buro Happold and our collaborators.
We have recently adopted a new framework focussed on early careers development. This allows our Graduates to learn the fundamentals of design and technology whilst building a base in consulting and professional skills. This is a blended learning programme where participants gain experience against our internal professional and technical frameworks in relation to their specialism.
In addition, we see membership of a professional body and professional registration as crucial to the development of our engineers and offer substantial support to those aspiring to achieve this. We aim to support employees to achieve the highest level of membership and registration their academic background allows