Graduate Electrical Engineer 2021
From helping shape entire cities to adapting infrastructure to deal with the climate emergency, a career at Buro Happold presents the chance to make a difference. With a world class reputation, our creativity and our people have delivered positive change to clients, the environment, and communities alike. If you want to be part of something bigger, this is your chance.
Our electrical engineers work closely with mechanical and public health engineers to create complete building services solutions. The integration of a successful building services strategy is what makes the difference between a building that is great to look at and a building that is great to be in. It is the building services that bring the building to life and are vital from the conceptual environmental strategy through construction, operation and the lifetime of the building.
Digital buildings and services are scaling in prominence. The world today is becoming increasing reliant on data and our electrical engineering teams use this data to understand, improve and transform our relationship with the built environment.
At Buro Happold our electrical engineers become embedded in the design process. Our collaborative approach is supported by advanced 3D modelling methods, known as building information modelling (BIM), that allow design teams to share an intelligent virtual project prototype.
At Buro Happold we spend time thinking about the outcomes of work. We question what the benefits of our projects to society? Is this project sustainable? is this project healthier and safer for the occupants who use it?
We work closely with Architects, lighting designers, façade engineers, and other specialist consultants to realise some of the worlds most innovative and celebrated projects in the built environment.
What sort of projects would I work on?
Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, UK - Our pioneering retractable pitch design ensures the new White Hart Lane Stadium is a highly flexible sports and entertainment venue. This project is the perfect example of Buro Happold's ability to think laterally to find solutions that work for our client. Not only does the new Tottenham Hotspur FC stadium offer fans a better experience and increase profitability for our client, the design has proved so inspiring it has catalysed a wider regeneration scheme across Haringey so that the surrounding area can better support this incredible venue.
Fry Building, University of Bristol, UK - Reinvigorated and decluttered, the Fry Building is now a truly spectacular space for learning. By approaching this historic piece of estate as an asset to be respectfully brought into the 21st century, Buro Happold helped to deliver a facility that will enhance the maths department's standing while reinforcing the University's cultural and educational ideals. Improving accessibility and devising an MEP strategy congruent with a heritage site were were key Buro Happold responsibilities.
EQ Office Building, Bristol - The BH team challenged the Client’s brief to respond to the Climate Emergency by setting more demanding energy targets. These have been met through completely redesigning the façade, re-specifying the building systems (primarily HVAC and lighting), connection to the Bristol Heat Network and increasing the provision of renewable energy.
The project is signed up to the Design for Performance scheme operated by the Better Buildings Partnership. Under the scheme, an operational energy model is built and analysed at key stages (design, procurement, construction and post-occupancy) to identify opportunities to improve building performance in operation. Each stage of modelling is around £12,000 to deliver, more costly at the earlier stages.
EQ’s benchmark is @ 167kW/m2/annum, which is in the top 25%, despite being very deep plan and heavily serviced.
EQ is also targeting a BREEAM ‘Outstanding’ rating and we are leading the systems integration and development of a bespoke building-App.
Plus pharmaceutical, cultural and civic buildings, high-spec' retail, transport hubs and mixed-use schemes.
What would I do?
- Work as part of the current collaborative design teams for buildings
- Embrace the latest technologies to improve performance and sustainability. Sustainable design is top of our corporate agenda
- Collaborate with individuals from other engineering design disciplines internal and external to Buro Happold.
- Develop complex electrical building services designs working with the computational visual programming tools in the BIM environment
- Look for opportunities to enhance computational visual programming for electrical design
- Delivery of high standard electrical designs for projects as part of the team including input to, reports, calculations, BIM modelling, specifications and schedules.
- Be involved with Buro Happold graduate programme providing peer support and career development.
- Bachelor or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering
- Internship experience at engineering related firm preferred, and proven interest in the built environment
- Interest in the electrical engineering, building design and the impact of the decarbonization of electricity supply
- Academic research, coursework, or other experience with alternative energy systems and other technologies new to the construction industry preferred
- Familiarity with BIM modelling software, such as Revit
- Interest and/or experience in visual programming (Dynamo, Grasshopper), coding (Python, C#), and/or open source coding projects
- Electrical systems design, knowledge of building systems design
- Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas clearly and concisely
- Eagerness to learn and work as part of a team
What’s in it for you?
Broad insight within a team, mentored by a subject matter expert. The opportunity to experience our culture and value, and learn what sets us apart from other organisations. Exposure to a wide range of portfolios, including local community led projects and global large scale clients. The diversity of the projects we work on is one of the many reasons Engineers love to work at Buro Happold.
A plethora of interesting and challenging projects to stretch your professional skills, a friendly and close knit team, flexible working and a competitive reward package. The opportunity to work on multidisciplinary projects aside a range of specialist engineers and designers both within Buro Happold and our collaborators.
We have recently adopted a new framework focussed on early careers development. This allows our Graduates to learn the fundamentals of design and technology whilst building a base in consulting and professional skills. This is a blended learning programme where participants gain experience against our internal professional and technical frameworks in relation to their specialism.
In addition, we see membership of a professional body and professional registration as crucial to the development of our engineers and offer substantial support to those aspiring to achieve this. We aim to support employees to achieve the highest level of membership and registration their academic background allows.