Graduate Environmental Consultant 2021
We are recruiting for our 2021 graduate programme within the Environment Group. The Succesful candidates will be based in Birmingham.
BWB is unique. There is a different feel and ethos to our company, and we can offer you a rewarding experience regardless of what stage you are at in your career. First and foremost, we have a fun and friendly culture. We have worked hard at engaging with our people in the right way and providing opportunities to collaborate at all levels. There is a real sense of being ‘in it together.’
Our Graduate Programme is the perfect place for people who are passionate about Environmental sciences to achieve their ambitions of gaining a broad experience within our specialist environmental services, which provide expert advice to the development and infrastructure sectors. It not only gives you insights into our business, but you could soon find you are on your way to a challenging and rewarding career that is full of potential.
About the role
The role provides an opportunity to grow and develop in a fast-paced, professional environment. Support from experienced engineers, scientists and technicians would quickly see you understanding modelling methods, environmental data analytics and GIS systems. You will start work on smaller projects, with an emphasis on skills development to help you up the learning curve. You will quickly start working more independently on larger and more challenging projects.
The position is for a graduate with strong aspirations to pursue a career in environmental assessment. You will work alongside experienced environmental consultants to develop skills in flood risk, contaminated land, ecology, air quality, acoustics, EIA and Sustainability, together with gaining an appreciation of sustainable development whilst working on a range of different projects.
About the team
We work across the transport, residential, commercial, industrial, health and retail sectors and our clients range from local and national developers and contractors to public sector bodies. We aim to create a working environment that provides challenge, enjoyment and a real sense of satisfaction with a view to encouraging personal and professional development in all our staff.
The team has a proud reputation for delivering environmental enhancement to offset development impact and to deliver integrated environmental and sustainable solutions to the most complex of locations.
Attributes such as problem solving, communication, personal organisation and team working will help candidates stand out. Above all we seek demonstrable enthusiasm, ambition and a willingness to learn.
Applicants with relevant experience in the industry, either through work experience placements or as part of an academic course, are ideally sought.
We are looking for people who will be happy to share their ideas about how we can do things even better, so we will want to see great communication skills developed through well-rounded life experience - academically, socially and in any previous work situations.
Your academic record will be strong, to apply you must have at least an MSc relevant to Environmental Sciences.
Working with us you will gain:
- Meaningful work experience and responsibility on projects across a variety of sectors.
- Opportunity to build and apply your technical skills from the outset on national and international schemes.
- A project logbook to capture your learning in.
- A clear career path for you to progress through.
- You will work alongside some of the most talented and respected consultants in the industry.
- A supportive induction programme that starts from day one.
- Independent mentoring support through to chartership.
- Access to our bespoke BWB Academy Programme which will develop you to become a 'complete professional.'
- Opportunity to network and share experiences with like-minded graduates.
- Opportunity to directly contribute to the achievement of our strategic business objectives.
- Regular one to ones and structured appraisals with your manager to ensure we can unlock your potential.
- Short term placements within different specialist department to accumulate broad knowledge and appreciation of all Environmental matters.
Reasons to join BWB
At BWB, we invest in our people and give them fantastic career opportunities. Look at what we have been recognised for recently:
- Investors in People Platinum standard
- A Sunday Times Top 100 Best companies to work for
- An NCE Top 100 Consultancy
Join BWB and your career will not conform to the traditional models of yesterday but will be a fulfilling and challenging journey into tomorrow’s digital age; a journey that you will Play an active role in defining!
At BWB you matter, and you will make a difference. A difference to the world you live in; the communities you engage with; even the development of your career and the profession.
We are on an exciting journey. Join Us.
What we can offer you
- A competitive Salary – We benchmark all our salaries against the market and review these annually.
- Holiday – 25 days holiday plus bank holidays and the option to buy extra days holiday per year to boost your entitlement
- Life Assurance 4x salary.
- Non-contributory Pension Scheme – we’ll pay an Employer Contribution, even if you don’t wish to contribute yet and the contribution will increase with years’ service.
- Superb training – bespoke to you and your development needs.
- Professional Subscription – BWB will make a payment for one professional subscription a year.
- Social Fund – We will pay £25 per head per quarter to have a great time socialising with your colleagues outside of the work environment.
- Health-care cash plan for all your everyday medical needs such as dentistry and optical care.
- Loyalty bonus – bonus, additional holidays, pension enhancement and sabbaticals.
- Perkbox rewards scheme - providing our people with access to a range of employee discounts and benefits.
- Cycle to Work – Get excellent rates for a new bike and accessories through our scheme.
- 1 paid day of volunteering for a company-nominated charity
- 2.5 paid days for STEM activity
What happens next?
- Fill out the short application form and submit your CV and cover letter on why you are suitable for the role and why you want to become part of the BWB family.
- Applications will then be shortlisted.
- The next stage is a telephone interview.
- Final stage is an interview or assessment day.
- Offers are made to successful candidates.
- Approximate start dates are in JAugust 2021.