Medical Technology Design Industrial Placement 2021
We have an opportunity for a talented Industrial Design student to join our User Centred Design department within the Medical Technology Division at Cambridge Consultants for up to 12 months as part of your 2021/2022 industrial placement.
Please note, it is possible you may need to work remotely during this placement due to the restrictions caused by COVID-19. Your working environment will be confirmed upon offer.
This is an exciting opportunity for an undergraduate with an interest in user-centred design, to contribute to cutting edge development programmes using your creative skills. During your placement year, you will work on a range of projects with exposure to all aspects of the medical design and development process.
Designers at Cambridge Consultants are hands-on, working closely with human factors and mechanical engineers (and others) to identify product opportunities, generate concepts, create prototypes and test their ideas with real users with the objective of improving patient’s lives.
You will be involved in activities such as front-end concept generation with participation in creative workshops; graphics and packaging design; digital design including user interface design, foam prototyping designs for testing; creating storyboards to communicate designs; and you may be able to attend a user study to research the needs of patients and evaluate your designs. There will be opportunities to meet clients and manage small design tasks within projects.
- You will be studying for a degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, or related course, and currently be in your second year of study.
- You will be passionate about product design and technology with a strong creative flair and meticulous attention to detail.
- Your portfolio will demonstrate your ability to communicate your ideas and designs clearly and attractively. It must include a broad range of core design skills such as sketching, concept illustrations, renderings and a description of the design process.
- Freehand sketching and presentation hand renderings are pre-requisites for the role. Good working knowledge of common design applications including Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Knowledge of SolidWorks and KeyShot would be an advantage.
- Competitive salary, based on merit and reviewed annually
- Company profit share scheme in addition to basic salary
- Pension scheme
- Life, disability and travel insurance, plus private healthcare
- Free canteen - breakfast, lunch and refreshments
- 25 days annual holiday plus public holidays, with flexibility to carry over / borrow
- Relocation assistance if applicable
- Excellent career development and training opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- Social committee
- Discounted train season tickets, through Travel Plan Plus
- Free shuttle service to/from Cambridge North train station, through Cambridge Science Park
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees' careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.