Graduate Engineer Highways 2021
We require an enthusiastic Graduate Engineer to support the developing workload in our Infrastructure design team at our Cardiff office. The office undertakes a wide variety of major and minor infrastructure projects, primarily for our Redstart Joint Venture partners – Rhondda Cynon Taf, Bridgend and Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Councils, other framework partners throughout South and Mid-Wales and the private sector. We seek to provide integrated solutions incorporating state of the art design. The successful candidate will be offered the relevant experience with a view to attaining professional qualifications.
A Graduate Engineer is a key position in our organisation with responsibilities to contribute to the design and development of projects and programmes of work whilst undertaking a range of technical aspects required for project delivery including feasibility, preliminary and detailed design under the direction of the Project Manager/Lead Designer using industry standard software such as Autocad and Civil 3D.
What you’ll be doing
- You will be part of an engineering design team preparing feasibility studies, conceptual, preliminary and detailed design of a range of Infrastructure and highway projects.
- You will undertake the feasibility, preliminary and detailed design of highway improvement schemes to DMRB standards using Civils 3D and AutoCAD software including preparation of contract drawings.
- You will work in collaboration with other design disciplines in Common Data Environments and acquire the knowledge and practical skills through on-the-job learning. Some of your roles and responsibilities include:
- Undertake the development of engineering options for a proposal so that full consideration is given to safety, reliability, operational capacity modelling, maintainability, ease of construction, and environmental/whole life issues.
- Participate in the selection of a single option for development
- Prepare the full engineering data package required for commencement of the detailed design, and participate in answering on-going clarifications/queries as needed.
- Support in all associated duties and carry out cross discipline engineering checks in association with engineers of other disciplines.
What we’re looking for
- Engineering degree in a relevant discipline with a grade of 2:1 or higher
- Desire to work towards chartership for the Institute of Civil/Structure Engineers
- Ability to communicate with a variety of audience using different mediums.
- Able to work as part of a multidisciplinary team comprising planners, designers, engineers and technicians, providing technical guidance to less experienced members of the team.
- Shall have a sound understanding of the Construction Design and Management (CDM) 2015 Regulations & Common Safety Method (CSM) 2013 Regulations, specifically the designer’s requirements.
About Capita Real Estate and Infrastructure
At Capita Real estate and infrastructure, we create places where people can prosper.
Today, critical infrastructure and public building projects need to be sustainable and environmentally appropriate. They must deliver value for the people that will use them - local communities and businesses - for decades to come. The wide range of demands requires a more holistic approach to design. That’s where we come in.
Our clients rely on our commitment to understanding their challenges and finding smarter solutions, and a broad range of experts offering a distinctively diverse set of skills. Our leadership team, who are practitioners themselves, understand what it takes to deliver.
Our culture is built on over 100 years of delivering excellence and creating solutions for critical infrastructure challenges. This enables us to provide a different perspective and approach; one based on what our clients need and can afford.
From engineering and architectural innovation to environmental sustainability and technologically enabled project delivery, we are renowned for our breadth of expertise and holistic, collaborative approach.
We’re a unique team specializing in infrastructure and buildings; the physical networks which keep the country moving and the places where people and communities can prosper.
What’s in it for you?
- A competitive basic salary
- 23 days’ holiday (rising to 27) with the opportunity to buy extra leave.
- The opportunity to take a paid day out of the office, volunteering for our charity partners or a cause of your choice.
- Company matched pension, life assurance, a cycle2work scheme, 15 weeks’ fully paid maternity, adoption and shared parental leave, paternity pay of two weeks and plenty more.
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle – from discounts on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology.
- Access to our Employee Network Groups, which represent every strand of diversity and allow colleagues to connect and learn from each other on an open, inclusive platform.
You’ll get the chance to follow your chosen career path anywhere in Capita.
You’ll be joining a network of 63,000 experienced, innovative and dedicated individuals across multiple disciplines and sectors. There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and we’ll provide the support you need to do just that. Our purpose is to create a better outcome for you.