Junior Economic Planner
From across the UK, we are looking to recruit a Junior Economic Planner to join our established Economics team. A market-leading UK real estate consultancy, GL Hearn provide successful planning, development, and advisory outcomes for both public and private sector clients. Our team is market leading in housing market and employment land advice, developing evidence that underpins the planning and development process. We are an energetic and flexible team; we are looking for an ambitious team player who is passionate about delivering trusted and actionable advice to our clients.
Our Economics team is part of our national planning business, enabling clients to successfully promote the role of place and community in the development of their property portfolio and real estate assets. Our team provide the necessary intelligence and strategic insight to realise sustainable economic development. The research, advice, and thought leadership we provide helps our clients to invest in communities right across the UK, creating places people want to be a part of today and for the future.
Recent and current commissions include: housing and economic needs advice to the local authorities in West Northamptonshire; economic impact studies supporting town centre redevelopment; new settlement strategies in Kent; property value uplift associated with East West Rail in Bedfordshire, and socioeconomic impact assessments supporting estate renewal around London.
Alongside client and project responsibilities, you will be involved in steering the strategic direction of our team, both in how we work together and also in how we win new work and through business development initiatives.
In our team, and across GL Hearn, personal and professional development are integral to our ways of working, and we will support you to broaden your career development through your role. You will be encouraged to attend activities related to planning, housing, and economic development; join industry led groups and organisations; and explore networking opportunities through your day-to-day client activities as well as business development activities.
What you’ll be doing:
- Achieving an understanding of dynamics within commercial, residential, and retail land markets.
- Producing reports to support policy development and site promotion.
- Supporting colleagues represent clients at public enquiries and examinations.
- Working with clients on project delivery and managing successful client relationships.
- Researching new clients to help win business and supporting our team with business development activities.
- Broadcasting our successes through case studies and thought leadership.
- Keeping abreast of the latest developments and technologies in our field.
- Continual professional development relating directly to projects and development of wider planning knowledge commensurate with role and experience.
- Working with the wider GL Hearn business to raise the profile of the Economics team, and cross-sell.
What we’re looking for:
- A relevant qualification in economics, planning, human geography, or related discipline.
- Somebody who is passionate about development and who wants to promote economic and social welfare in local communities.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- Good time management skills and full appreciation of the commercial context of working under pressure and to deadlines in a busy consultancy.
- Excellent written communication and focused report writing skills.
- Ability to develop arguments and to identify key concepts and contribute to strategy development.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrable capabilities of working within a professional team.
- Ability to work in a team and individually.
- An interest in data modelling, GIS, presentation and demographic research.
About GL Hearn
Part of Capita plc, GL Hearn is a market-leading UK real estate consultancy, providing successful planning, development, and occupier advisory outcomes for both public and private sector clients.
GL Hearn provide commercially driven advice through all stages of the asset life cycle, specialising in a variety of sectors including defence, retail, residential, mixed-use development, commercial office space, healthcare and education, and infrastructure.
Working with a wide range of public and private sector clients, GL Hearn enhance land and property holdings, working on some of the most complex real estate projects in the UK, making difficult development happen and reducing property occupation costs.
GL Hearn offer a wide range of specialist professional services from environmental, infrastructure and town and country planning, business rates advice, valuation, and lease advisory, through to development including compulsory purchase and land assembly, private sector development management, agency, and consultancy expertise.
What’s in it for you?
- A competitive basic salary
- 25 days’ holiday (rising to 27) with the opportunity to buy extra leave.
- Company car or car allowance benefit
- The opportunity to take a paid day out of the office annually, volunteering for our charity partners or a cause of your choice.
- Company matched pension, life assurance, a cycle2work scheme, 15 weeks’ fully paid maternity, adoption and shared parental leave, paternity pay of two weeks… and plenty more.
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle – from discounts on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel, and technology.
- Access to our Employee Network Groups, which represent every strand of diversity and allow colleagues to connect and learn from each other on an open, inclusive platform.