Graduate Geoscientist 2021
CGG is a global geoscience technology leader. Employing around 4,000 people worldwide, CGG provides a comprehensive range of data, products, services and equipment that supports the discovery and responsible management of the Earth’s natural resources. Whilst having an excellent reputation within subsurface imaging, more recently, CGG has moved into the wider energy transition sector, applying our diverse expertise to new areas such as Environmental Science, Mining, Carbon Capture & Storage and Geothermal.
We are looking for enthusiastic, talented and highly motivated Graduate Geoscientists to join our Geology team based in North Wales.
Our team of multi-disciplinary Scientists provide innovative solutions to our clients challenging problems within the Energy Sector. We strive to continually evaluate our workflows to ensure we stay at the forefront of geoscience.
You will work in a project-focused team responsible for working in collaboration with our clients and delivering impressive results every time.
You will use your geoscience skills and be responsible for generating and interpreting geological and geophysical data; compiling and synthesising results. Using your geological and geophysical knowledge, in an applied environment, you will work in a multi discipline team and have responsibility for using a range of techniques and processes to contribute to exciting projects.
We are looking for individuals who are intuitive, ask questions and will continuously seek to improve our interpretations and processes. Several roles are available across the Geological Interpretation, Geological Analysis and Datahub Groups.
The successful candidate will benefit from some of the skills identified below, which should be highlighted in your application depending on your preferred role/area of focus
- Experience through own research to engage critically, practically and creatively with current topics relating to geoscience.
- Knowledge of the energy sector.
- An understanding of data and technology impact, and the potential for enhancements to address technical and commercial opportunities
- Problem-solving skills.
- Ability to rapidly locate, digest and compile information from different sources
- Experience in coordinating or managing projects that involve diverse data and stakeholders; ability to define and manage project deadlines
- Track record of implementation of SQL, Python or R in geoscience projects
- Good understanding of statistics & data science including machine learning
- Familiarity with data extraction techniques from a variety of file types, including web-scraping approaches and technologies
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- An enthusiastic attitude towards learning and flexibility to adapt to new challenges and rapid changes in direction.
Educated to Degree, Master’s or PhD degree level in any of the following disciplines; Geology, Geoscience, Geophysics or Data Science
Key Skills and Competencies
- Passion and enthusiasm for science, geology and problem solving challenges
- Ability to demonstrate experience in data interpretation
- Ability to build and develop positive client relationships
- Ability to successfully manage and deliver on project deadlines
- Open communication and collaboration with teams and clients
- Enthusiastic attitude towards learning and flexibility to adapt to new challenges or changes in direction
- Strongly desirable: programming, data science, statistics, or related skills
We recognise the importance of work life balance for our employees, which is supported through our flexible working and relaxed dress code policies.
We recognise and actively support the wellbeing of our staff through many different initiatives;
- Promoting active lifestyles
- Regular social club events, spontaneous reward events throughout the year
- Many discounts schemes, including Gym membership and a cycle purchase scheme
We encourage and actively support a strong sense of community, through volunteering and various company initiatives, as well as a strong company commitment to protecting our environment through sustainable solutions, energy saving and waste reduction enterprises.