Graduate Imaging Scientist/ Geophysicist
CGG is a global leader in high-tech geoscience employing around 4,600 people and operating from 42 locations worldwide. We offer a unique range of innovative technologies, services and equipment designed to provide extremely precise data on the Earth; primarily to support exploration for and optimal development of natural resources. Join us to deliver unrivalled geoscience insight to our clients using innovative geophysical and geological techniques and our powerful software.
Within our UK teams we hire physicists, mathematicians, geoscientists, remote sensing specialists, data scientists and computer scientists to understand and interpret complex seismic, satellite and geological data using pioneering technology.
The world beneath our feet is both incredibly complex and the source of the natural resources fundamental to the functioning of our society. We use the latest signal processing, modelling and imaging techniques and some of the most advanced CPU & GPU compute facilities in the world to build high-resolution 3D images and models of subsurface structure and rock properties for our clients.
We operate a collaborative team-based structure with each team focusing on one or two client-facing projects. Every project is different, whether it is the geological environment, the data acquisition and imaging technology or the client objectives. We are looking for people who are enthusiastic about using their problem solving skills and whose natural curiosity about physics and the earth will keep CGG at the forefront of innovation in geoscience.
What skills will you develop in your career as a geophysicist?
- Technical expertise in the field of signal processing and imaging; and wider awareness of the field of geoscience
- Building client confidence and maintaining long-term client relationships
- Successfully managing complex technical projects with multiple project deadlines
- Effective communication and collaboration with team members and clients
- Cultural awareness through training and interaction with our globally diverse clients and teams
- Leadership and management skills enabling you to contribute to the development of others and take the company forward
Integrated or postgraduate Masters or PhD in any of the following disciplines: Geophysics, Mathematics, Physics, Astrophysics/Astronomy, Natural Sciences with a Physics specialisation.
Please note this role is open only to students graduating in 2021 with no prior professional experience. Please include a cover letter with your application. Note we do not accept re-applications.
What do you need to demonstrate during the application process?
- Analytical approach to problem solving
- Technical knowledge in an area of applied mathematics or physics
- Enthusiastic attitude towards learning and passion for your subject
- The technical agility to adapt your existing knowledge to a new field
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts
- Evidence of leadership, teamwork or customer service either from involvement in university societies/extracurricular activities, volunteering and/or work experience/internships.
What you can expect from us
Our culture of learning and approach to career development enables the design of tailored courses to suit the specific needs of our employees. This aids personal growth in areas related to technical, commercial and personal skills, via an extensive suite of CGG developed courses, given by external experts and our dedicated internal training team.
We recognise the importance of work life balance and community for our employees; with flexible working, relaxed dress code policies, onsite exercise classes, canteen and regular social committee events. This includes discount schemes such as gym membership and a cycle purchase scheme. There are also opportunities for volunteering particularly in STEM outreach and other local and company-wide initiatives.