Underwriting Graduate Programme 2021
Our award winning Graduate Programme produces our leaders of the future. It provides an excellent start to your career in insurance – one of the largest and most important industries in the UK.
Our unique programme
Over 24 months, we provide you with the opportunity to begin your career as an underwriter – an insurance professional who understands risks, how to manage them, and is responsible for deciding what their insurance company will insure.
Our programme develops your expertise in every underwriting area, from initial introduction of the risk by the broker, through assessment of the coverage required, to policy pricing and account management. In doing so, you will learn how we provide insurance for a wide range of risks, from earthquakes to workplace injuries.
We also provide you with full support for your professional insurance qualification with the Chartered Institute of Insurance; the leading UK industry body for insurance professionals.
Our proven approach gives you an in-depth understanding and invaluable experience of how insurance works, as well as providing you with great opportunities to develop a broad network of market contacts. This ensures you have a strong foundation on which to build your underwriting career.
What is an underwriter?
Insurance underwriters analyse and appraise the risks involved in insuring people and assets. Their job is to choose what risks the insurance company will insure.
Insurance underwriters have specialised risk assessment and pricing skills, which they use to determine what the risk involves, and then to decide how much protection or coverage the client requires and how much they should pay for it.
Some useful resources to help you learn more about insurance:
- The role of the Underwriter
- The world’s specialist insurance market
- Discover the wider world of risk
A little bit about us
We are a leading specialty (re)insurance group, providing clients with proven smart risk solutions for underwriting and claims. Our enterprising and trusted experts offer market leading cross class capabilities, empowered decision-making and a tailored approach.
With our headquarters in London, and our international hubs for Europe, MENA, North and Latin America and Asia, we protect clients in over 200 countries and territories worldwide. We offer clients the flexibility of both Lloyd’s and, through Chaucer Dublin, the company markets.
Development opportunities we offer
Our people are commercially minded and self-motivated team players; and together we have created a dynamic and successful business. We believe that our people define and drive our business, which is why the growth, development and well-being of all our employees is so important to us.
We work hard to ensure that careers at Chaucer are challenging, inspiring and rewarding, and that the work environment is ambitious and supportive.
We are committed to helping you to maximise your potential while on our programme:
- In your first week, we provide you with a structured induction programme to help welcome and prepare you for your role
- We support you through your Chartered Insurance Institute professional qualification (ACII); with this qualification you join the UK’s community of proven insurance professionals
- We provide learning opportunities on each placement within Underwriting, including structured on-the-job training, technical briefings, professional education courses and self-study
- Our Human Resources Team are with you every step of way through our programme, and help you to devise your own Personal and Professional Development Plan
- We will also provide you with a buddy and a mentor
- Able to work with complex analytical information
- Strong attention to detail
- An excellent communicator
- Organised, logical, and a clear thinker
- Good with numbers
- Commercially minded, self-motivated and a team player
- Committed to studying for an insurance-related professional qualification
You have a 2.2 degree. You have 3 or more ‘A’ levels (grades A to C), plus GCSE Maths and English (both minimum grade B). A second language such as Spanish or Mandarin is a bonus. You have good IT skills including Microsoft Excel. You can start with us in October 2021 and have an unrestricted right to work in the UK.
A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace are core to our success as a business and integral to our winning strategy and culture. We recruit from the widest available pool of talent, and our hiring, assessment and selection process is fair, free from bias and one which ensures we select the right person for the job, based on merit. We are committed to promoting a culture that actively values difference, and recognises that everyone has the right to be treated with dignity and respect throughout their employment.