Graduate Training Programme 2021
The Graduate Trainee Programme aims to produce fully rounded professionals with a holistic understanding of the Christie’s business model. The programme will give exposure to the workings of both the art specialist and ‘enabling’ departments by way of the assigned rotations. As such tasks will vary hugely from meeting and greeting clients, through to deal structuring, via object research.
This exciting 18-month programme offers 10 outstanding graduates the chance to experience our business through a series of placements, spot rotations and workshops. Each Graduate Trainee will be offered a competitive salary and will have the exclusive opportunity to be mentored by experienced business leaders. Participants will gain a comprehensive understanding of Christie’s, heightened commercial awareness and advanced specialist skills. We aim to retain all of our Graduate Trainees – the next generation of Christie’s business leaders.
A Trainee will complete a series of rotations with both specialist departments and key support departments. They will work closely with the department teams, while completing training and mentoring programmes. Each Graduate Trainee will receive a formal performance review at the end of each rotation.
The 18-month scheme will also include shorter spot rotations with teams beyond our specialist departments, from Marketing to Legal. These placements will enable Graduate Trainees to develop an understanding of how the different business functions work together, and foster relationships across Christie’s.
• Provide exceptional client service at every touchpoint
• Greet/visit clients on-site and off-site to support appraisal, consignment and sale efforts
• Participate in Telephone Bidding with clients during an auction as required
• Assist clients in galleries during preview weekend and sale week
• Research property for bibliography, provenance and exhibition history using libraries, online databases, the internet, and outside experts (such as curators, dealers, publishers, etc.).
• Catalogue property for public and private sales
• Prepare condition reports
Competencies and Behaviours
• Collaborative working; build a strong cross departmental network across the business
• Commercial savvy; demonstrate a strong grasp of the commercial aspects of an art deal
• Digital innovation; present new ideas about digital innovations
• Client service; demonstrate exceptional client management skills
• The Christie’s values; ‘live and breathe’ the Christie’s values
• Work with your team to deliver the extracurricular project assigned to you
Key Skills/Qualifications Required
- A minimum 2:1/Merit/3.33 GPA degree in a business or arts related subject gained within the last two years
- A passion for the arts (particularly if no academic studies of the Arts)
- Commercial acumen
- Enthusiasm and dedication
- Client focus’ and strong interpersonal qualities
- Team spirited
- Excellent communication skills in English (Fluency in English is a MUST)
- For Hong Kong, spoken and written Mandarin is required
- Proficiency in at least one other language is highly desirable
- Natural IT/systems aptitude
- Strong passion for digital innovation