Founded in 1986, CIL is an independent management consultancy. We provide evidence-based advice to assist our clients to grow their business, manage risk and make better investment decisions.
Hard work and clever thinking is at the centre of what we offer our clients. We employ inquisitive people and provide graduates with a world class business education to become exceptional consultants. Our graduates get stuck in from day one, having central roles within project teams.
At CIL, we strongly believe in a healthy work/life balance and actively encourage each other to pursue activities and interests outside of the office. We are committed to being the best consultancy to work for in our field.
The analyst role
The analyst role is the first stage in a management consultant’s career. It is a highly demanding job – we will expect a lot from you, but you will receive first class training and will gain valuable experience with which to build a successful career. CIL analysts are an integral part of our project teams, and over their first year will be expected to:
- Grasp new business models quickly, typically working on a different project every 4-6 weeks.
- Take responsibility for testing commercial hypotheses through collecting and interrogating primary and secondary research.
- Carrying out rigorous quantitative analysis of industry and internal company datasets.
- Play a key role in debating and refining hypotheses with the project manager and project leader, drafting clear & concise output for inclusion in the final report once agreed.
- Get in front of clients and help present our findings – we firmly believe that early client exposure is a great way to learn & develop.
- Help coach others. We have two new graduate intakes each year so after six months, our analysts will be expected to support new joiners in their own development.
Working at CIL
We are supportive, non-hierarchical, hard-working, unpretentious and direct. We don’t take ourselves too seriously.
Although we work in structured project teams, we are socially very equal, lively and inclusive. There are no corner offices, no private fiefdoms, no cliques – we work in open-plan offices and are not political. We think a ‘culture’ is something larger firms have to invent. Ours is the product of the individuals we employ.
We nurture each of our graduates individually. From the day you join you will be working directly with our leadership team and meeting clients. You will be making a real contribution to projects, helping to tackle complex issues and solve the challenging problems our clients face.
As a boutique consultancy, we pride ourselves on being flexible to the needs and circumstances of every single employee. The main benefits we offer to our people include:
- Rapid, meritocratic progression, with exposure to clients right from the start.
- A high quality training programme delivered within a hugely supportive learning environment (including structured training modules to take you from analyst to partner and financial support to study for relevant qualifications).
- Outstanding remuneration.
- Participation in our generous company bonus scheme.
- Company pension & life assurance schemes.
- Option to join company private healthcare scheme (through Vitality).
- 25 days’ holiday entitlement with option to take an additional 5 days each year.
- Flexible working options, with little travel and the potential to work from home.
- Initiatives to limit weekend working and to give time back in lieu of long hours worked.
- Regular company events & socials, as well as post-project team meals.
- An incredible company culture, with support to pursue activities & interests outside of work.
- Sabbatical and secondment opportunities as you progress through the company.
We have a team of over 60 highly qualified, highly skilled people. Successful CIL people share some common attributes:
- Strong academic background (we are degree agnostic) from a world class university.
- Intellectual horsepower and curiosity for solving business problems.
- Motivation and ambition, able to stand on their own two feet.
- Strong team working and people skills.
- Outstanding numeracy, written and verbal communication skills.
- Humility and quiet self-confidence – we are not an ‘alpha’ environment.
- A keen sense of humour and broad shoulders.
We have very strict qualification criteria for applying to CIL. These are:
- 2.i or higher undergraduate degree from a top 20 UK or world class university, any discipline.
- At the time of starting their employment, the successful candidate must have the right to work in the UK.
- Excellent numeracy and completely fluent written and spoken English – other languages an advantage.