Clearwater International Graduate Programme 2024
As a leading, and award winning, global corporate finance house we’ve built a business based on listening to our clients. Whether advising entrepreneurs, corporates or investors, we have a great track record of originating, managing and delivering clearly defined strategies to help our clients achieve their objectives and long-term goals. With more than 375 experienced professionals across 17 offices in the UK, Ireland, Denmark, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, the Netherlands and Sweden. Clearwater International also has a strategic alliance with KeyBanc Capital Markets, the corporate and investment banking arm of US-based KeyCorp, designed to enhance growth for global mid-market companies.
With over 2,400 completed transactions, we work alongside management teams, private company shareholders, private equity investors and large corporates on all aspects of corporate finance transactions.
We have an open and collaborative culture that embraces opportunities and encourages ambition. Our values Personable, Adaptable and Committed are at the heart of how we do business and how we behave; we make a genuine difference to our clients, challenging ourselves to find the best solutions. We understand the importance of team and ensure colleagues have the right environment in which to excel; to deliver the best outcomes for clients whilst growing professionally and personally.
We are seeking graduates who are looking for the opportunity to start their career in a market leading Corporate Finance house with a focus on providing quality advice. This is a unique opening to join a fast growing, well-respected, international business and to receive the training to become a well-rounded corporate finance advisor.
The Graduate Executive Programme
Working alongside experienced colleagues, you will advise companies in a range of industries and on a variety of transactions including corporate sales and acquisitions, private equity and debt-raising.
This is a 2 year structured programme which includes top quality classroom based training along with on the job learning.
Year 1 of the programme is spent in the research function thereby ensuring the development of the core corporate finance skills of deal marketing, buyer research, ad hoc searches, valuation, pitch process, exit reviews and wider sector research. Technical skills training will be provided to commence the process of building core technical capability.
In Year 2, you will transfer to the Deal Execution Team, where you will continue with your on the job development, supported by formal training, with a focus on building transaction knowledge and capabilities via training on pitching, the sales and deal process, completion mechanics, tax and legals as well as additional technical skills training on financial modelling and deal structuring.
The Clearwater Graduate Scheme enables you to gain a broad view of corporate finance that is hard to find on other graduate programmes without being in a smaller and less well-established firm. You will also have the option of gaining a professional qualification in corporate finance via the ICAEW. On successful completion of the 2 year Graduate Executive Scheme you will be promoted to Associate.
Your role will incorporate the following responsibilities
- Prepare buyer research and valuation material for pitch books and buyer reports. This will include financial and strategic company research as well as analysis of markets and trends, deals and listed companies.
- Write concise, logical and articulate draft documents which demonstrate a strong commercial understanding.
- Develop good working relationships with clients and professional contacts such that they are comfortable using you as their main point of contact on day to day matters
- Attend and contribute to relevant sector team meetings.
- Establish effective relationships with potential providers of work within the professional community
Deal Origination and Marketing
- Prepare meeting briefs for Partners attending Deal Origination meetings.
- Identify potential new clients and marketing opportunities.
- Support marketing activities including organising events, writing reports and mailers and PR responses.
- Suggest marketing strategies and support on ideas to help future growth.
- Represent the firm appropriately at seminars and social functions
More broadly you will
- Demonstrate a sound awareness of issues surrounding Corporate Finance and the economy at large
- Work collaboratively with individuals across the Clearwater International business; both junior and senior and both within the UK and overseas.
- Positively reinforces the reputation of the firm through sound professional execution of all duties
- Improve Clearwater standards through constructive criticism, positive feedback and looking for new ways to manage processes or present information
What we’re looking for
Our preferred, but non-essential, degree disciplines are Economics, Business and Finance or quantitative degrees such as Mathematics, Engineering or Chemistry. You will have gained, or be on track for, a 2:1 or a 1st and achieved a minimum of 3 B's at A Level or 120 UCAS points (or equivalent qualifications).
To secure a role at Clearwater International, you will need to be highly numerate with excellent writing skills. You will also be able to demonstrate strong commercial acumen and a keen interest in Corporate Finance through your research and reading. Previous internships within Financial Services or Professional Services businesses will be an advantage.
In terms of personality and attitude, we are looking for graduates who are;
- natural communicators
- at their best when working as part of a team
- confident in dealing with senior individuals early on in their career
- enthusiastic with the drive to learn quickly and take on early responsibility
- humble with a strong work ethic so happy to carry out more basic tasks when needed
Some of our projects are cross-border in nature and therefore languages are an advantage but not essential.
- Initial application submission
- Blended assessment (incl. psychometric questions and a video interview)
- Assessment centres (to be held in January-February 2024)